Default Replacing glass lense in headlight

Question - do I HAVE to remove the front bumper to replace the glass on my headlight? If so, I also have a question about the VIDA instructions on the front bumper removal.

It states "Drill out the four blind rivets from each side where the edge of the wing meets the wheel arch wing liner. The rivets must not be cut off."

Ok - what? Meets the wheel arch wing liner? Do they mean the wheel well liner? And what about replacement? I would of just busted off 8 rivets and not replace them re-installing? The re-install instructions says do the steps backwards. And how do I un-drill rivets? Silly Volvo.

You do not have to mess with those rivets. I replaced mine and did not have to. Same model.

Ed, I have a V70 but I would expect the bumper cover removal to be very similar for an XC and I didn't have drill out any of the rivets. Take a look at the pictures in how to resources section for the AC compressor, receiver/drier, expansion valve replacement. I had to remove the bumper cover and headlight assembly to get to the receiver/drier. The bumper cover removal pictures are about 1/4 way down in the pdf file. To remove there's plastic push pin rivets on top to remove, two bolts under the bumper trim and loosening a torx screw in each fender wells. Unplug the fog lamps and the bumper covers slides off. If you have to remove the headlight assembly the bumper cover does need to be removed.

http://www.volvoxc.com/wp-content/up...eplacement.pdf

No rivets on P2s to drill, Gen 1s only
    You will need to loosen up the side you're working on for full access to the headlight
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

FV - thanks so much for highlighting that PDF - it's an excellent how-to write-up. Appreciated. And thanks M2b for explaining the rivets issue.