Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Battery problem with 2009 XC70

I have interesting problem and was wondering if anyone had something like this. It has happen twice in past 6 months that when car was not driven for about 6 days, it could not be started as battery was dead. First time i assumed freak incident, but repeat recently puzzled me and made me feel uneasy (can I trust the car) since there were no light on, no radio no other sources of drain. I had car at dealer first time and they did not find anything, now I must say looks like some type of short or bad battery (3 year old?????). Any opinions appreciated.

Check to see if battery has cracked at negative post and has a load of acid salt buildup on that post. See your dealer.

There is normally a small constant (24/7) output from your battery to keep certain electronics 'alive' like your Radio settings, but normally you can leave a battery without problems for some time, although very cold weather will flatten a battery faster than anything.

Depending on how frequently the car has been used it would be worth taking the car to a dealer to have the battery 'tested' this will tell you if the battery is able to hold its charge, if it cannot then it means a new battery.

In a number of cases batteries of 3 years are known to pack up.

I'm with they guys here but you don't have to go to the dealer to get the battery checked, most auto part stores will check it in the parking lot for you. And honestly, if you can't trust the battery, get a new one.
    2008 XC70 Black/Sandstone
    previous:
    2004 XC70 Crystal Green/Brown trade in @79K

You do have to go to the dealer to get the battery warranted and the neg cable replaced for a problem seen and noted on a number of the 09 models with factory installed battery. Look at the neg post and then if it has the heavy build up, point it out to the dealer.

Well, it is pretty warm right now so cold weather is definitely not in play. We are talking car not being operated for 6 (six) days. It is second occurrence now, it has happen before when we were away for a week, same thing happened. Took it to dealer for check and nothing was found, now after second incident (bought car new) I am concern, as I do not know how long doe sit take to drain battery, not to mention why. Check both posts and they look fine, but I will recheck again and inspect as suggested. Going to have dealer inspect it next week.

Default Update

Well, after visit to dealer it was confirmed that satellite radio module was faulty and stayed on all the time and drained battery.

Quote Originally Posted by waldi View Post
    Well, after visit to dealer it was confirmed that satellite radio module was faulty and stayed on all the time and drained battery.
    Glad you finally got it sorted out and hope the module was replaced under warranty!

Default XC70 mystery battery drain

Bought a 2010 AWD Se last year, and very soon it was showing 'low battery'. Dealers couldn't find a drain and replaced battery. went away for a weeks holiday in January and battery was flat when go back. Car checked at dealers - no drain identified. Left the car unused over a weekend - battery flat again, no drain identified. Any ideas? I will ask dealers to look at satellite radio module, but other suggestions welcome!

The battery in my 2010 XC70 went dead after sitting for 2 weeks in mild weather. Nothing was on, and the fob was 50+ feet away. Dealer says battery is fine and charging system works. Has anyone figured out what might be causing this? With winter coming, I am concerned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast