Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 2007 xc low beam replace; are you kidding?

Forum,

I just replaced my 2007 XC70 passenger side low beam bulb and I have to say either the engineers were high when they designed the replacement option or I am missing something.

My 1990 Volvo 240 headlights are a breeze to change but this thing was almost impossible. I had to try to reach into a little hole and twist the bulb out and then back in. Almost impossible.

Please tell me I am missing something.

Any advice appreciated.

twoOldVolvos

I am not sure how to help, but I will try.

Remove dust cap thing, 1/4 turn
    Push on wire (thick as a paper clip) and move to the side to free it
    Remove bulb
    Replace bulb and push wire back to lock it in.

The dust cap has writing on it to tell you its orientation.

now I cannot replace the front turn signal bulb (orange bulb). I can't figure out how to get at it without removing the whole assembly from the car or finding someone with elf hands.

I think in VADIS it goes something like this:

Take off the entire front of car, bumper etc.
    Take headlights out.
    Change bulbs.
    Refit lights, bumper and all the other bits you had to take off.
    Hand customer massive bill for something that should be easy.

Clearly designed for dealers to make some money

I gave up trying to replace any of the bulbs - except license plate. I take mine to my dealer and have never been charged for replacing any lights.

Default Turn signal assembly and bulb

Hi 95SE, regarding the "elf hands", yes you are correct, I have recently replaced the turn signal bulb assembly and it was quite a challenge but managed it get it back in the correct spot. Turn signal was intermittent, tried to replace the bulb only, no joy, had to replace the complete assembly and like magic it worked. Froggy

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    I take mine to my dealer and have never been charged for replacing any lights.
    Bloody hell, you're lucky. My stealer wanted to charge me almost £200 ($330US) parts and labour to replace a xenon bulb until I pointed out the car was still under warranty.....

It's never darkened their door since

Read the owners manual for my 2006 XC70 and studied the diagram for replacing the low beam bulbs. I found that the manual is incorrect and apparently there was an upgrade or change. Some years ago the dealer replaced the wiring harness due to a problem with the old harnesses overheating. Perhaps that is why the actual mounting of the bulb is different from the manual.

Anyway I gave up trying to do it myself and took it to the dealer. Both low beams replaced for $75.00.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

Right side is harder!
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by twooldvolvos View Post
    Forum,

I just replaced my 2007 XC70 passenger side low beam bulb and I have to say either the engineers were high when they designed the replacement option or I am missing something.

My 1990 Volvo 240 headlights are a breeze to change but this thing was almost impossible. I had to try to reach into a little hole and twist the bulb out and then back in. Almost impossible.

Please tell me I am missing something.

Any advice appreciated.

twoOldVolvos
    Welcome to the world of space efficiency and of dealer-enforced maintenance. Believe me, there are cars that are way worse than the XC. One of the reasons I like working on my old Land Rover so much. I can nearly stand inside the engine compartment and I don't have to jack it up to work underneath. It is the way God and the Queen meant vehicles to be built.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Just replaced my drivers side low beam bulb. At first glance and reading this post I thought how am I going to get my big mitts in there. I then realized I would make myself some room to work, so I removed the air filter, unplugged the MAF, pulled out the air box and voila all the room I needed. Start to finish it took about 5 mins. Hope this helps other people.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast