Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you know when your lower control arms are gone?

I was getting my car inspected for registration, and the guy wiggled the front wheel and saw the lower control arm moving. How much movement is acceptable? Mine have about 90K miles on them on pretty nice roads. I am doing the oil tonight and the car will be on my lift, I will examine it closely then.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

The ones on my T5 were gone at 115K. You could see the rubber had cracked through and they moved pretty easily.

If you can move it with your hand, I think that's too much. On a ball joint check, or on a tire rotation, I don't feel them move at all. I would go ahead and replace them. And stick with genuine parts - I've heard that the aftermarket parts have poor durability.

I would also look at the cost - I got new control arms for about $115 from one of the on line parts places. Bushings would have been about $50 for both, and the dealer wanted $60 to press them in (while I have access to a hydraulic press, they aren't as simple as other bushings I've pressed in...). At that price, it made sense to just get the new arms.

Big improvement in steering feel and tracking after the replacement. I didn't know how bad it had gotten because the degradation was so gradual.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Mine were shot at 65k... Most likely yours are pretty bad. The way I knew something was wrong with my car was I was on the highway and had to do an emergency stop full lock from like 75 to 0 and the car shook like hell side to side. Really freaked me out actually, I got under the car, saw how much play I had by pushing it with a pry bar, replaced the control arms and went out and tried it again and everything was good!

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Oh and to answer your question, my new control arms have almost NO play in them...

'05 XC70
    -Pioneer Avic F700bt headunit
    -12 inch Alpine Type R Sub
    -Flat Black Pegs
    -Custom Tinted Windows
    -Custom Mesh Grille
    -OBX Catback Exhaust
    -IPD Silicone Hoses

Quote Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
    How do you know when your lower control arms are gone?
    This made me chuckle Had visions of thieves getting under the car and removing the lower control arms like they do with the cat. Then tried to imagine what the symptoms would be like - trying to drive a car with no control arms

I replaced mine before a safety inspection at 160K mi, original '02 bushings, so clearly there is great variability in how long these things can last. Even though the rubber was clearly cracked and deteriorating although I didn't notice substantial movement in the arms. New arms didn't change the driving experience so I suspect the arms weren't totally shot, which is probably a good thing. Yours sound like they are done.

I replaced mine at 130k mi all-tough cracks were noted in the front bushings at 87k mi. Before replacing i could first notice unstable handling cornering at high speed on on/off ramps. Later bad handling on icy conditions even at low speed. The bushings are designed to flex more easily to a certain amount then becomes stiffer. Its the flexible "waist" of the bushing that gives in. According to a swedish volvo mechanic the bushing is designed to give more toe during acceleration and less during braking to stabilize the car. I't this "dynamic toe" that gets screwed up when the bushing wears out.

Not "almost"
    NO play

Quote Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
    I was getting my car inspected for registration, and the guy wiggled the front wheel and saw the lower control arm moving. How much movement is acceptable? Mine have about 90K miles on them on pretty nice roads. I am doing the oil tonight and the car will be on my lift, I will examine it closely then.
    When I saw your posting, I'm thinking... WTH - something else to go wrong? But it seems to be wear and tear I think...

You could of course have my 06 GMC Sierra - it's on it's third set of front wheel bearings @ $600 each installed, second set of inner tie-rod ends, new alternator and battery, and now my transmission needs to be replaced @ 130,000 miles, which apparently to the GM truck guys - it's as common as replacing your brake pads. I'm not going to go into the intermittent temperature gauge that's flaky, the cracked foot boards, cracked drivers side mirror (cheaply made which is why it broke), or the fact that the truck's design makes it eat windshields for lunch. The total maintenance I've spent on this truck (cause it was my former field service truck) is close to $10,000 in two years. I've personally spent $2000 in the past 3 months on repairs. My last visit to the dealership cost me $500 for a fluid change (oil/coolant/tranny) alone.

Volvo expensive to maintain? Nothing compared to a domestic truck.

I was just changing the oil, with the car on my lift sitting on the ramps. So the control arm was right in my face where I could get a good look. Even with the weight of the car on the tires, I could tug on the tire and see the joint move. That's not good, huh?

I am going to compile a list of stuff I need (struts, cups, arms, blah blah blah) and start shopping around. If one of my Subes did this, I would be really chapped.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

Quote Originally Posted by WestcoastXC View Post
    According to a swedish volvo mechanic the bushing is designed to give more toe during acceleration and less during braking to stabilize the car. I't this "dynamic toe" that gets screwed up when the bushing wears out.
    That makes sense and explains the circular design of the rear bushing allowing slight forward and back rotation of the control arm under acceleration and braking as limited by the front bushing. Also explains why for some drivers these will be worn out in 60K and for others in 120K. Examining my old control arms one front bushing appears to flex much more than the other. Didn't take much to find the cause - clearly this one was totally shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast