Default Fuel Gauge Issue

Hey.. New to Volvo thing with a 1998 V70XC AWD, 144K Miles. First little issue - more to come....as the little quirks are found.

~~~Fuel Gauge does not register with a Full Tank. With Key Off, the Needle drops below the Red Line. With the Key On, the needle moves slightly past the Red Line. Also, the Info Screen does not Register (miles to empty), but it does register MPG, etc....

Hoping it's something simple instead of having to drop the fuel tank to replace the sender?

Anyway - there may be some threads to this, but no real good way to "search" on this side.

D

I believe it's a bad sender unit and with that car, it's a bitch to change it. The best way would to cut up a access panel to reach the fuel pump (where the sender unit is attached as well). The sender might be struck or the float had a hole.

Default Fuel Gauge Issue V70XC

Thanks....probably right. Will have to do a couple of quick checks this weekend and hope for the best.

If you do happen to need to work in that area, I and a few others would be glad to assist you about that.

I have a issue with a leaky seal at the fuel pump from a ****ty indy job made by the previous owner. With the cutout, i'm able to access the pump in 10 mins and remove it if you can fish out the wiring.

Thanks for the support.....looks like the only easy way. I did read about someone being able to lower the tank enough to get at it, without remvoing the rear suspension, but I don't know how much of a contortionist I am?

Great site, and support....Only Volvo Forum Site that was interested in replying!

I will let you know what I do - first some more simple tasks to accomplish.

Best Regards

Quote Originally Posted by DAK View Post
    Thanks for the support.....looks like the only easy way. I did read about someone being able to lower the tank enough to get at it, without remvoing the rear suspension, but I don't know how much of a contortionist I am?

Great site, and support....Only Volvo Forum Site that was interested in replying!

I will let you know what I do - first some more simple tasks to accomplish.

Best Regards
    You won't lower it enough without removing the rear suspension. I tried that and you only get a few inches of clearance which isn't enough because you need to pull the fuel pump assembly up.