Exclamation PLEASE HELP! loud popping noise when accelerating from start

Hey out there:

yesterday i backed out of my driveway like normal and when i put the car in drive from a complete stop and started rolling forward there was a loud pop from what sounded like the middle of the car. I am going to try and have someone else drive so I can listen from the outside of the car but does anyone have any ideas what it can be? I have been told it is time to replace the brake pads/rotors, shocks and struts, and the spring seats in front if that helps...

thanks!

Default Update

listened from the outside and it sounds like it is coming from the rear passenger tire/brake/axel area. thanks!

Was it a pop and bang, a clank?
    Can you feel it in the car or is it just a noise?
    Does it make noise only when you just start out?
    is their any grinding noise?
    was it a once and done noise or every time you start the car and move?

Need more info...Miles?
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Loud pop, sometimes when accellerating others not. 147000 miles. Feel it in the cabin and its louder in the cabin but definitely audible from outside. No grinding at all. Thanks!

Broken E brake?

I was thinking broken ebrake also which is why I asked all the questions. A consistent pop is befuddling though....if pieces of the broken brake are caught up in the drum you may get a popping noise as they catch and break free rattling around in the drum...but you should hear some grinding too....did you pull on the ebrake? does it feel abnormally tight or loose?

Take off the rear wheels and rear rotors and see if your Ebrakes have come apart. In my case they broke and blew out the back of the drum on the rotor and it made a heck of a sound every time the wheel rotated. The rotor is a real PITA to get off if there is a lip that has formed in the back. be patient maybe some pounding with a RUBBER mallet (unless you plan to replace the rotors or the drum was blown out then just have at it) lots of wiggling and pulling and wrangling. That seems the 1st and most likely place to check.

The other thing you could do is get it up on for jack stands (SECURELY!!) or a lift and put it in drive and see if you can reproduce the noise. Have a buddy do it while you stand outside. If it is a broken ebrake, you will surely hear it.....

That is a best guess with your miles, but without more info hard to tell............mine went around 148k
    2020 Subaru Outback XT - Pearl White Loaded-huge improvement over 2013!
    1955 Ford F-250 - 223 IL6, 4 Speed with Granny Gear, 109 HP, 4.88 Rear
    2017 Maserati Ghibli - Blu Emozione - GONE!
    2013 2013 Subaru Outback - charcoal Grey, Eyesight Collision Avoidance 110k miles
    2007 2007 XC70, Barents Blue, Charcoal Leather 215k miles
    1978 Bitchin' Chevrolet Z28 Camaro - Fuel Injected 383ci SB Dyno'd at 452HP 462FT/LBs Torque
    My build thread: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276139

Thumbs up

thanks a bunch! i'll tinker with it and if i cant get it I am taking it to have the spring seats replaced and i will have him tinker with it.

Sounds exactly what I would hear when e brake was broken on the left rear. Cycling the e brake on and off would sometimes either temporarily eliminate it or at least change its character. Usually would only occur at very low road speeds, like when pulling off from a stop.

yeah it comes from the right side but engaging it only made it worse. finally having it looked at wednesday. it is completely random but happens typically at the low speeds.