Default D side trans/axle seal ?'s

hi guys,

thanks in advance for any, and all help! i've seen the posts on how to replace, and or diagnose the problem. both sides of my transmission leak at the axles. but i thought i'd wait to do the pass side until i have to remove the bevel gear. well to my question(s). after replacing my shocks/spring seats/ and strut bearings yesterday.

i took off for the coast this morning and shortly after the sun came up i started to notice spots on the rear window. well long story short, 75 miles in i started seeing smoke and pulled over. had tranny fluid every where(even exhaust hence smoke).

1) so just how sensitive is our tranny to low fluid? with engine running the bottom of the trans fluid stick is dry(was full to start the trip)!
    2) what if anything, can i do to figure out the amount, if any damage has been done?

also, will using the mobile 3309 atf in our 4spd transmissions cause any harm? i did the trans flush/clean with like 13 qts of it. then realized i have the 4spd. not 5spd all i could find was that with a 5spd. you wouldn't want to go with the older stuff, but i haven't found any info on the other way around.

thanks again for any help!

p.s. where can i get a trans. seal over this weekend? im gonna try ipd right now since im in portland.

Generic axle seals work if you find an auto parts store that has them
    3309 won't hurt a 4 speed at all but it was certainly a waste of money.

Have you damaged the tranny with no fluid???
    Probably.
    You won't know until you fill it, seal everything properly and drive it for a while
    It depends on how long you drove it that way
    MOBIL 3309 (not MOBILE)

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Generic axle seals work if you find an auto parts store that has them
    3309 won't hurt a 4 speed at all but it was certainly a waste of money.

Have you damaged the tranny with no fluid???
    Probably.
    You won't know until you fill it, seal everything properly and drive it for a while
    It depends on how long you drove it that way
    MOBIL 3309 (not MOBILE)

thanks jrl,

yeah it was a bit spendy. ipd had it for about the same as redline atf. by generic you mean just find the closest size axle seal? or just generic brand, but for my car? sorry for my confusion.

thanks again for your help

Default update

when i went to take it a part today and found a 1" plus gap between the end of that hex shaped piece on the inside of the axle, and the trans. . with it pulled out like that, would that be enough to cause it to leak? or is it still most likely the seal leaking? it just popped right back in with a light push. i assume it popped out while i was pushing down on the control arm trying to get the new shock back in. thanks again with any help!!

Well, can you see any grease coming out at that spot?

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Well, can you see any grease coming out at that spot?

there definitly was fluid coming from there. now i'm not sure. i need to find a place thats open with the 3309. then i can take a drive and look.