Default suspect faulty abs wheel sensor how do I know which one is faulty?

Hi All

I have a 2001 246.000 km's I just came back from a 3 week break car has been just sitting there. now below 50km/hour I get constant ABS/traction control in the car I suspect there is a faulty wheel sensor but which one? Before the holiday break it only did it on right turns (slower then 40km hour at almost full steering tillt), but now it is almost undriveable. also when I drag the brake padel a bit it goes away. does anybody have any idea for a easy way to check which of the 4 wheel sensors has a problem?

The ABS control module already has been rebuild 2 years back ( the famous soldering of the connectors). also there no abs lights on the Dash. I am thinking of just swapping the left and right sensors in the front to see if that helps, it seems they are just out of sensing the ring on the driveshaft.

Br

Erik

You are describing a wheel speed sensor problem for a car with bad wheel bearing. jack it up and check all wheels for loose bearings.
    Dragging the brake pulls the tone ring back into alignment. Loose bearing in early stage would deflect the most on turns but when it gets looser it will carry the tone ring out of alignment most of the time.
    If not wheel bearing then there is no way to know without removal iand inspection or getting codes read.

I checked for play on the bearings but I can not really feel any. also I do not hear any bearing noise either. the typical singing of the rear ones is not present. Is there any other part in the suspension which might lead to a move of the drive shafts ABS rings to move relative to the sensor?

Default Obd ii

Hi, have your diagnostic codes read, migth tell which sensor is bad (also intermittend). If it is the bearing it get's worse and noicy quite fast and you'll have no problems to identyfy which wheel it is coming from.
    br Tapsa

Default ABS wheel sensor ?

Erik,
    If the problem occured when turning right it is a left wheel sensor and most probably the frt one. I had same problem on my car (2001 XC 70). I removed the frt wheel sensor to find that the sensor was slightly touching the notched wheel. I just added a small washer between the sensor and the knuckle. It solved the problem after 1 year still OK.

Mario

Had the same issue with my 03, turned out to be a missing driveshaft bolt (sems screw). The turning effect was allowing the driveshaft to slide in the hub causing a loss of the signal which has the effect of a false speed being sent to the BCM. This activates the traction control to correct the difference in wheelspeeds by slowing down the rest.
    To check your sems screws pop off the center cap from the wheel and have a look. If one is loose - tighten it, if one is missing (the centre cap probably is too!) replace it

Quote Originally Posted by mavitec View Post
    Erik,
    If the problem occured when turning right it is a left wheel sensor and most probably the frt one. I had same problem on my car (2001 XC 70). I removed the frt wheel sensor to find that the sensor was slightly touching the notched wheel. I just added a small washer between the sensor and the knuckle. It solved the problem after 1 year still OK.

Mario

This fix did the trick I finally had time to have a look at the front sensors. the axle bolts were all good and tide, so I pulled out the left front wheel sensor and indeed it has been rubbing the notched ring on the drive shaft. checked the right front one too and this one looked better but also seemed to have touched the axle ring. so 2 little washers and guess what all abs/traction control pulsing gone. I only drove up to 50k/h till now. Thanks again for all the tips. really saved me some money on new wheel sensors. If I only new this 1 year earlier. (my bad should have posted it then already) have been driving turning right with the traction control going nuts for all that time.

Br

Erik