Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Why is my XC so useless in the snow?

First winter with my recently purchased 2001 XC 70. 850 having 850's for the last few years I figured this XC would be a big improvement. Long story short, I have brand new Artic Claws on it and the AWD works just fine. However when I stop anywhere snowy (even on my lawn) I lose traction instantly. I have better traction with my 1990 Volvo 780!! I have heard nothing but amazing things about these in the snow and it seems like once it gets going its an unstoppable snow tank, but what is going on here with the start and stops, my wife's 850 has the same tires and I can get up the driveway no issue, my XC its a struggle.
    Whats wrong with my beast?

If your AWD is working properly, your choice of tires is probably wrong
    A good XC is just fine in the snow.
    Articulate better what "losing traction" means to you. In what manner?
    It makes no sense that your old FWD would be fine and an AWD is not fine.
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

What I mean is I spin when I am taking off on a snowy surface, If I stop in the middle of the hill on my driveway it is a struggle even in "winter" mode to make it. The 850 wagon we have has the same tires on it and will make it up at the same stop point on our driveway in "sport" mode. I have used these tires for a number of years on different vehicles and they have not failed me yet, I could not even make it up my father in-laws driveway that a Toyota Tercel a Ford Focus and a Olds Eighty Eight could. It seems like something is wrong here. I honestly would feel more confident in my 780 than this XC. If I am going at 20 mph or over I can make it up just about anything snow worthy that is thrown at me.
    Also I do have good winter driving skills. Is something affected by the "gear selector function reduced" warning?

WHAT gear selector reduced function warning????

2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Ever since I purchased it the screen has displayed gear selector reduced function. Has not seemed to affect performance at all, could this be part of the issue? what are the possible causes for an error like this?

It shouldn't (be running properly)
    I really don't know what to say except have the codes pulled and find out what's going on with it, but you really should not be driving it this way!
    Is it starting off the line in the right gear?

Yeah its starting off in the right gear, I wont be able to have to codes pulled until next week. (my guy with Dice get back then) When I purchased the car the warning was on, I took the center console apart and found out the solenoid that operated the shifter brake lock was unplugged, plugged it back in and the warning disappeared but the solenoid was dead so it would not shift out of park. unplugged it and have run it that way ever since (almost 7,000 miles) Also all the indicator lights "manual mode" and winter mode work.

Odd deal but I guess it's OK to drive

When say the wheels spin is it just the front or all 4 that spin starting to think is the VC not working or the angle drive hence no rear wheel drive. Get someone to watch when you're spinning.

He said it's worse than his FWD 850
    Doesn't make much sense

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast