Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: 4000 RPM limit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    114

    Question 4000 RPM limit

    Hi all.
    When the wife and I where going on a camping trip a few days ago we encountered some very strange behaviour with our 2001, scary noise from the engine compartment, reduced power climbing up hill from an undersea tunnel pulling our 1300 Kg Hymer, we stopped and checked the car but found nothing obvious, nothing loose and no leaks, we decided to go on for awhile as this was only going to be a 50 mile long trip anyway, next day driving around the countryside was uneventful and no symptoms from the previous day, then on the return trip with the caravan in tow it all returned.

    Description: The car has 100.000 miles on the meter.
    The engine will not rev over 4000 RPM in neutral no other symptoms.
    Grinding noise and reduced power when accelerating only under load, quiet when foot of pedal and when shifting, does not matter whether car is in manual drive or auto.
    No message or warning light.
    Spark plugs are new, and tranny wash flushed and refilled with 3309 about a year ago, brand new timing belt.
    I know that the ignition wiring harness is a mess and I suspect some coils may be on the way out.
    Any ideas ?
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -


    -Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.-

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,439

    Default

    Check the MAF and air filter for any volcanic ash that may have cemented itself.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
    Check the MAF and air filter for any volcanic ash that may have cemented itself.
    OK, good point I was beginning to suspect the MAF, and with all the frenzy about ash affecting jet engines, but I think the MAF has to get really hot, 1832 F (1000 C) required to melt silicate rock, but it could get clogged, with all the volcanic activity lately it has not been reported as a problem for cars, but we all know our swedes are sensitive.
    Thank you for your input.
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -


    -Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.-

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Devon PA
    Posts
    11,409

    Default

    Not supposed to rev over 4000 in NEUTRAL, ECU has a rev limiter
    No ME-7 car does/can

    Can't help you with the rest by this description except the fact if the transmission got hot, it WILL default to a reduced engine mode until it cools back down
    If you're going to tow, you need an aux tranny oil cooler

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Not supposed to rev over 4000 in NEUTRAL, ECU has a rev limiter
    No ME-7 car does/can

    Can't help you with the rest by this description except the fact if the transmission got hot, it WILL default to a reduced engine mode until it cools back down
    If you're going to tow, you need an aux tranny oil cooler
    I kind of suspected there was a rev limiter on the engine, the car has once gone into reduced engine mode climbing a winding hill road, and that feels more like your in winter mode, and we have gone on many camping trips with the caravan since then, but this was nothing like that, it felt and sounded like it was slowly grinding to a halt and no warning message in the DIM or nothing, and stepping on the gas pedal had no affect what so ever.
    Just came from a test drive wit no caravan, everything seems ok.

    I'm going to check on the MAF and the coil packs.
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -


    -Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.-

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Devon PA
    Posts
    11,409

    Default

    You're not listening
    Overly hot tranny fluid the car WILL go into a limp mode.
    If you're going to tow up long grades and in the heat, you need a COOLER.
    You have an 01, you're lucky you still have a tranny at all.... you're really pushing your luck here!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    You're not listening
    Overly hot tranny fluid the car WILL go into a limp mode.
    If you're going to tow up long grades and in the heat, you need a COOLER.
    You have an 01, you're lucky you still have a tranny at all.... you're really pushing your luck here!
    Thanks for the help JRL, I know from reading this forum how you feel about 2001 transmissions.
    For the record, the car did NOT go into limp mode, it was not a long grade and and the ambient temp was about 12 centigrade and how do you now the car does not have a cooler ?
    just consdering my options here.
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -


    -Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.-

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Devon PA
    Posts
    11,409

    Default

    This:

    ...reduced power climbing up hill from an undersea tunnel pulling our 1300 Kg Hymer, we stopped and checked the car...

    is semi limp mode and I'm sure by now you would have said if you have a cooler or not.
    and it's not how I feel about 01 trannies, (I have no personal axe to grind) it just "is"...it's a fact of Volvo life.... they're junk!

    A first year trans with very poor original TCU programming and a poorly designed (weak) valve body

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Reykjavik, Iceland
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    This:

    ...reduced power climbing up hill from an undersea tunnel pulling our 1300 Kg Hymer, we stopped and checked the car...

    is semi limp mode and I'm sure by now you would have said if you have a cooler or not.
    and it's not how I feel about 01 trannies, (I have no personal axe to grind) it just "is"...it's a fact of Volvo life.... they're junk!

    A first year trans with very poor original TCU programming and a poorly designed (weak) valve body
    I know you are very knowledgeable about our transmissions but what is semi limp mode witch give no warnings or message and can you shed some light on that grinding noise.
    Regards.
    Frosty XC______________>
    V70XC 2001 019 Black
    - Leather oPackage -
    - Versatility Package -
    - Touring Package -
    - Rear Nivomats -


    -Warning: Objects in mirror aren't as fast as they thought they were.-

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Devon PA
    Posts
    11,409

    Default

    No one can decipher a noise over the web but I have to tell you that many times on many Volvos, every so often I hear these weird noises that just go away and never come back!
    I had one on my low mileage VR. Did it for a couple of weeks when cold going up a hill, not it's been gine for over two months.

    As for the low performance, at times if things got overheated they just do and don't necessarliy always throw a code
    I would bet you have a stored code if you get them pulled at a Volvo dealer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •