Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nuisance "Engine System Service Required"

Wifey Mobile here. She'll drive it for a week or more and then out of the blue she'll tell me "there's some message on the thingy on car"
    So I take a look sure enough "Engine System Service Required" indicator appeared (screen on left of dash). This was about 7-8 months back. Car runs excellently. I connected the OBD II reader, read codes = "PASS NO CODES". The I hit erase codes = "PASS NO CODES TO ERASE". I drive it down the road, punch it and allow to slow down, turn around and on the way home I notice the message is no longer there?

Then recently, Friday 5/20/11, Wifey tells me - well you know. So today I connect up the OBD II and same as above, nothing nada zip. Do the old erase codes and receive same message "PASS NO CODES TO ERASE". Drive it down the road punch it, turn around come home message still in window. Put the code reader away and figured I'd check liquids - all were fine. Start the car up and no message displayed???

Any ideas here? The car runs like a top when the message is present
    "01" XC70, Polar Blue Metallic, Oak Leather, no 3rd seat, wife's ride.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

You sure that's not the maintenance reminder message that's on?

Lasts about 2 minutes after start, then goes out. Comes on every 7500 miles/12 months...reset using the key position and trip odometer...

Mine says something like, "Service engine soon"...but I can't recall the exact language...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Definitely not the maintenance reminder. This brings up the Red Triangle with exclamation point in center dash and displays "Engine System Service Required" message.

Oh by the way wifey told me it came back on today. Car runs fine???
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

You go to Volvo and THEY pull the code(s) with VIDA.
    Put your silly code reader away
    That's the only way you can find out what's going on.

You keep burying your head in the sand and one day something will come out of there and bite you in the arse!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post

You keep burying your head in the sand and one day something will come out of there and bite you in the arse!
    There are other higher level readers out there that will read Volvo codes and some indies have them so it's not imperative that you go to the stealership assuming you can find a decent so-equipped indy. Now if programming is involved, then yes it appears that for most things VADIS/VIDA is required. In any case, you should get the appropriate scan done as it is possible that you have something serious going on even though the car is presently running OK.

Unfortunately, most of the "consumer-grade" readers are only valid for OBD-2 standard codes and not the increasingly used OBD-2 codes that the regulation reserved for OEM-specific purposes. Another screw job being perpetrated on the car-buying public by the manufacturers.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post

Wow real helpful - thanks so much. I'll run right out to the dealer tomorrow.

Billr99,

I'm sure I'll end up at the dealer, but you never know till you look for help on the site. Kinda stinks that the manufacturers got you by the pocket for almost everything.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
    Wow real helpful - thanks so much. I'll run right out to the dealer tomorrow.
    It's the only way you will find out, (or find an indie with VIDA) so yes, it is helpful.
    Instead of being stubborn, find the problem

Unsubscribed.

If there's a moderator that has a moment please delete this thread.

Thanks, Joe Mc

Now this is an unfortunate coincidence! That message "engine system check required" appeared on my MY '04 last night with the yellow warning indicator (not red, as OP said his was). This is a long weekend here so I'll have to wait until Tuesday before having anyone look at it.
    Last edited by goldxc70; 07-31-2011 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast