Default Wiper Fluid Problems

Has anyone had any problems with lines getting clogged on a 2005 xc70? Whenever I pull the lever to spray I get a strange sound and nothing comes out to the rear window. The front works fine so I am assuming there is a clog in the line somewhere.... Any ideas? Thanks!

Default Rear Windshield Washer

The search feature above gives you access to a set of threads on the washers.

There is only one pump, which rotates one way for the forward nozzles and the other way for the rear nozzle.

I'd suggest checking the rear nozzle by snapping off the cap over the rear wiper, then pulling out the nozzle. It's just a friction fit. Then, try the washer. Hopefully, the nozzle is just clogged, as it is the only restricted diameter in the system.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to access the pump. The pump is on the forward edge of the reservoir. The only way to access the reservoir and pump is to remove the front bumper. This sounds worse than it is, but it does take a helper. There are also detailed instructions through the search feature. Once you've gotten to the reservoir, I'd suggest removing the pump, its held in with rubber gasket rings. When I did this the pump screen was clogged. You should also flush the reservoir, as long as you have it open.

If all this fails, then you may try to gently blow out the hose to the rear wiper.
    Check valves are used to allow the single pump to serve both sets of washers. if blowing out the hose fails, clogged check valves might be the problem.

Hope this helps,

Jim
    2006 XC70
    1999 V70R
    1986 BMW 735
    1986 BMW 635
    1975 240

Quote Originally Posted by jsimons944 View Post
    The search feature above gives you access to a set of threads on the washers.

There is only one pump, which rotates one way for the forward nozzles and the other way for the rear nozzle.

I'd suggest checking the rear nozzle by snapping off the cap over the rear wiper, then pulling out the nozzle. It's just a friction fit. Then, try the washer. Hopefully, the nozzle is just clogged, as it is the only restricted diameter in the system.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to access the pump. The pump is on the forward edge of the reservoir. The only way to access the reservoir and pump is to remove the front bumper. This sounds worse than it is, but it does take a helper. There are also detailed instructions through the search feature. Once you've gotten to the reservoir, I'd suggest removing the pump, its held in with rubber gasket rings. When I did this the pump screen was clogged. You should also flush the reservoir, as long as you have it open.

If all this fails, then you may try to gently blow out the hose to the rear wiper.
    Check valves are used to allow the single pump to serve both sets of washers. if blowing out the hose fails, clogged check valves might be the problem.

Hope this helps,

Jim
    2006 XC70
    1999 V70R
    1986 BMW 735
    1986 BMW 635
    1975 240
    Before you do all of this which is a good approach BTW; try the simple thing first. Get a straight pin and make sure that the jet openings are clear. I haven't had much of a problem with my XC, but I have had other rear wiper setups get very clogged, very quickly right at the jet opening. Not sure if it is road crud caught in the draft and deposited on the back hatch or what, but a quick poke every so often with a pin did the job.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff