Hello All,
I have a question about no/low oil pressure. Here is the Low down.

The Car: 2001 XC, 120K miles. Recently replaced turbo.

Background: The car recently began occasionally displaying the "no oil pressure safely stop.." message when the engine was warm and idling, usually as I was pulling into the garage at home. The display became more frequent, and I took it to the mechanic, where by he took off the oil pan, cleaned out the sludge, cleaned the oil pickup and we hoped for the best. About 10 miles later, the turbo blew, no warning lights at all, just heard the turbo whine a little and then a lot of smoke out the tail pipe.

Back to the mechanic, replaced the turbo, while the car was at the mechanic it was moved a few times, let idle for a time a few times, etc. no oil light. When the mechanic took the car for a test drive after installing the turbo everything was fine for about 10-15 miles, as he was pulling back in the shop, the no oil pressure warning light came on. He immediately shut down the car and has not driven it since.

I understand that when the oil gets warmer, it thins and oil pressure drops, but I am assuming that since the oil pressure is OK to begin with, mechanically oil is being pumped the way it should. I have searched the threads, and see that the O-ring in the oil pick-up could cause the drop in oil pressure.

The Question: Where else should I look for the loss in oil pressure? Could the pump not work as efficiently when warm?

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean