Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

A European Tour Page 7a Bobrovnik

Friday

Wonderful blue sky this morning and expected temperature of 24C
    Quick shower, followed by breakfast but before we take off on the bikes for Jesenik here are a couple of pictures of the campsite!

Campsite Reception

The main field

On the tarmac as the grass is still a bit waterlogged from all the winter snow!

As the town of Jesenik is around 3 miles from the campsite it made a nice change to take the bikes and cycle in after breakfast. The only ‘downside’ was that 80% of the journey was along the main road with rather large trucks passing by, but staying close to the grass and off the road you can stay out of the vortex that they create as they pass.

Just as we turn off the main road and into the start of the town, it was very nice of the Fire Brigade to present all their ‘Engines’ this morning as we cycled passed, so I stopped and here is the result!

Bit further along we see this Factory where again the roof is covered with Solar Panels and I guess today the Canteen will be making lots of Toast with the ‘Power’ coming from this lot!

Next thing we saw was a complete surprise and never seen before!
    You take your 1ltr Milk Bottle place it in this machine, which is what the lady in the picture has just done, put in the required money and it fills your bottle with Fresh Milk!

Heading towards the ‘Centrum’ we then spot what turns out to be the Museum which is going through quite a refurbishment program at the moment but you can still go inside.

Inside the courtyard of the building.

I went in to see what was on offer and was told that in the ‘cellar’ they had an exhibition of Geological items.
    It turned out to be a bit of a letdown. It was nearly all placards with photographs of different underground cave systems in the Czech Republic with a few Stalactites or Stalagmites in glass cases. The commentary on each of the placards was only in Czech with no handouts in any other language, so after 5 minutes I was done and ‘exiting stage left’!

Went further into the town centre and picked up a couple of nice creamy ice creams on the way, which took us into the Town Square

Made our way back to the bikes and passed a Fair Ground that was just being assembled for the Easter Holiday.

It was good to see the ‘Recycled’ Army Trucks and other vehicles being used for towing and accommodation by the fairground people.

As there was not a lot else of interest in the town, we headed back to the campsite and an early lunch, then head off to see if we could find a ‘Lookout Tower’ at a place called Zlatȳ Chlum which meant a drive towards a town called Zlaté Hory.

The view looking back towards Jesenik as we went ‘hill climbing’ yet again was quite nice

I think we missed the turn for Zlatȳ Chlum as before we knew it we were approaching Zlaté Hory, then driving down the main street!

Pulled over and parked with a nice view up the main street.

Walked back up and spotted this church set back.

The inside this time was quite spectacular for its decoration

While coming back outside the Church and looking directly in front was the Town Hall with the ‘Air Raid Siren’ on top of the roof!

Making our way back to the car I looked between a couple of other buildings and spotted this Crane’s nest on top of a chimney.

We think it was a baby crane inside the nest as its head kept coming up but it made no other movement.

We tried to find the Lookout Tower on the way back without any luck so might try the Tourist Office to see if they have a better map with clearer directions on it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzsofializ View Post
    hello,love the tour.
    Nice to hear, and 'Thank you'

Hang in there though we still have a ways to go before it's over!

A European Tour Page 7b Bobrovnik

Saturday

Thankfully at the moment the good weather is continuing, but we could possibly see a change for the worse by Sunday night or Monday morning when rain is expected to move back in! YUK!

After breakfast this morning we decided to go for a ‘Round Tour’ firstly heading for the Palace at Linhortovy.

On the road to Linhortovy.

Next came the wonderful ‘S’ bends before we once again encountered the ‘Hairpin Bends’ on the ‘Cross Country Roads’ that are rather narrow!

But interspaced with some nice views across the countryside!

After around 1.5hrs driving we came to Linhartovy Palace which is just inside the Czech Border with Poland, and what a fantastic sight it was!
    But on this first picture I could not get all of the darn Palace into the picture! Sorry!

Tried again on the other side of the river and made a better job of it!

Didn’t realise when I took the above picture that I was actually taking it in Poland, as going across the river bridge had put me in that country except someone had stolen the sign!
    It was only when I was on my way back that I realised I was returning into the Czech Republic!

Trying to take a picture of the Palace and the River proved equally fraught!

Back in the car now on our way to Krnov and we pass this little fella on his chain at the side of the road!

40 minutes later we arrive in Krnov and were we in for a nice surprise!

First view as we round the corner from the car park

Next view as we come into the city centre

Same place different angle

A view up the main street

Around another corner and this used to be Krnov Castle which whilst now becoming a restaurant is also being re-furbished on other parts

Inside the castle looking towards the main gate

Back out of the gate turned right and while walking down the main street we spot this poor soul who is ‘practising’ the Saturday Night- Sunday Morning feeling a bit early!

Found the ‘Information Centre’ which provided a brief history of the city which I hope you can read

We then found the Tourist Information Office and the young lady on reception spoke good English and provided us with information about a ‘Lookout Tower’ that was open and with a bit of walking was not too far away, but our route took us past another grand church up on the hill outside the city which had an interesting presentation for the ‘Stations of the Cross’ as they were all outside and surrounded the church

Station 1

The buildings up to Station 13 were all identical

But then Station 14 was completely different

Picture inside Station 14

A little bit further along the pathway and there was the ‘Lookout Tower’ which to climb up I managed to get the ‘Pensioners Discount Rate’ which was good as I did not have enough small change to pay the full adult rate!

It was built in 1903 and must have close on 300 steps from bottom to top, that when you get there you emerge through this little doorway

The views over the city are however something else!

Got back to the bottom of the tower and started to make our way back to the car, then spotted this well decorated roof

Back to the car, and my legs were killing me, or rather my thigh muscles with coming downhill!
    We then after a short rest, started to make our way to a place called Bruntal which we were not impressed with, so no pictures, but having said that we stopped at a Lidl Store to get some provisions as tomorrow and Monday are Public Holidays here so no shops will be open and as we came out there was this nice old house opposite

Having made our way then along a few more narrow, bumpy roads we arrived back at the campsite at the end of another interesting day.

Tomorrow is Sunday so I am having a ‘Lazy Day’ so no story or pictures, sorry!

Default volvo xc70 flamenco red

Hi,
    how are you finding the fuel Economy of the xc70 when towing? we are of with bour tin can for a short break on tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    Hi,
    how are you finding the fuel Economy of the xc70 when towing? we are of with bour tin can for a short break on tuesday.
    At the moment averaging between 29 & 31Mpg but not pushing it and change down when I come to any hills no matter how small! BUT I am running a 6 speed Manual Box NOT Automatic!

Enjoy your trip!

Default Volvo xc70 D5 SE flamenco red

thats not bad mpg i will let you konw what we average with ours when we get back, carry on enjoying your trip and i'll tune into your adventures again when i get back

A European Tour Page 8 Plumlov
    Sunday at Bobrovnik
    While we had a nice relaxing day we also went for a short walk into the village of Láznĕ Lipová with the following results
    ‘Fuel Store’ Hope you can see the difference with last year and this year’s supply, and every house was well stocked with cut wood?

View up and down the river

Walking a bit further we found this nice ‘Easter Celebration’ up on the balcony

While a bit further along was this Easter presentation in the front garden

Got back to the campsite to see the ‘Sunday Train Service’ passing by

Monday
    After saying our ‘Goodbyes’ to the lady on Reception at Autocamp Bobrovnik she managed to take us completely by surprise as I walked in with the ‘Switch’ that is traditionally made here in the Czech Republic for Easter Monday.
    I believe it is then the custom to use the ‘Switch’ on your wife across her back as it is supposed to give good health and long life!
    Your wife then presents you with a small egg!
    In the picture below is the ‘Switch’ and the ‘present’ shaped like an Easter Egg that the lady on reception gave us as a ‘Goodbye Surprise’ as we left the campsite this morning!

So after this really nice surprise which further convinces me that ‘Normal People are GREAT it takes a Politician to screw it up’! Here we are off once again this time to the small town of Plumlov, but with our experience from the ‘Solo’ drive on Saturday without the ‘Tin Tent’ on the back I decided to try and stick with the ‘Minor’ but wider roads as the roads we used on Saturday would have given us problems had we followed the route provided by the GPS system!
    At one of the ‘Stop’ crossroads we noticed this nice display in the house window so pulled over and went back for a decent picture!

Switched on the Car Audio and was provided with the sound track from ‘War of the Worlds’ which for some of the roads/countryside and the possibility of meeting ‘Strange Things’ as we travelled was quite good as we came across this when we went around the next bend!

A few more ‘Road Views’ on the way to Plumlov

Arrived in Plumlov and our campsite here will be: Camping Žralok, for the next 4 nights. Webpage is only in Czech Language but nice pictures, and if you look closely you can understand some of the items!
    http://www.camp-zralok.cz/

Booked in and then found the place with the view!
    You don’t get many like this to wake up to in the morning!

Quick bit of lunch and off for a walk around the town that is concentrated around Chateau/Castle Plumlov which looks impressive but could do with some restorative work and a coat of paint!

Need to try and get to a Volvo Dealer while we are here as we have an error message appeared on the dashboard that will not go away.
    There is one in a city that is fairly close so will see if with a telephone call we can make a reservation to have it looked at.

Wow. Great Pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post

Wow. Great Pics!
    Thanks!
    Stay 'tuned' there will be more!

A European Tour Page 8a Plumlov

Tuesday

Well I guess it had to happen.
    03:00 this morning woken up to the constant drumming of rain on the ‘tin tent’ which finally stopped just after lunch time!

So after breakfast we decided to take a chance and go to the Volvo Dealer in the city of Olomouc to see if we could get the dashboard error message resolved.

Interestingly although the garage was already installed on the inbuilt Volvo GPS system I opted for ‘NON Toll Roads’ in the 'settings' however when we set off the dam thing wanted to take us on the TOLL ROAD into the city!

Thankfully putting the address for the garage into my Tom Tom it kept us off the Toll Road and away from the possibility of a rather LARGE fine!

Having arrived at the garage we then found one of the Salesmen who spoke good English, explained the ‘problem’ passed over the keys for a Technician, the next thing the car was in the workshop, up on the ramps, diagnostics run and a broken electrical wire identified on the nearside suspension leg which had stopped the ‘Active 4C Chassis’ from functioning correctly.

The Technician made a temporary repair for us so that we can continue the trip. The garage has advised me that the car will need to have a complete new suspension leg fitted to resolve the problem completely when we get back home!

Whilst it beggars belief really, I was impressed with the help provided by the Volvo Garage in Olomouc, so a BIG ‘Thank you’ to them with handshakes all around, but I am glad we were not in some remote location with no chance of a garage, now that could have been a bit scary!

In view of the persistent rain we decided to call into a Lidl Supermarket and get some groceries then head back to the campsite and see if the rain eased off in the afternoon.

Shopping completed and I left it to Tom Tom to get us to Lidl and back to the campsite which it did with no problem.

Lunch was cooked and served and the rain did ease up, so much that we got out the ‘Tourist Book’ and decided to head for a place called ‘Bouzov’.
    No it’s not a dehydration place for alcoholics it is in fact one of the best kept castles in the Czech Republic!

On the road there we saw these nice sights

Then as we came over the hill surrounded by the mist the castle appeared.

We made our way to the ‘Hrad’ (Castle) Car park to find ominously we were the only car there, but there was an information panel on the castle in English which I hope you can read

Out of the car park and walked along the track to the castle and then through the trees we get this fabulous view

Went to read the notice on the entrance door only to find it was only open for pre-arranged/booked tours so we could not go in……maybe next time?

Back to the car by which time the rain was coming down harder, so we decided to come back to the campsite and the ‘Tin Tent’ to listen to the ‘Pita Patter’ of the rain on the roof, but a couple of interesting sights from the trip back below:

Notice the angle of the house roofs in the next photo, to ensure there is not a great build up of snow.

Would like to go ‘Sightseeing’ in Olomouc tomorrow but again the forecast is not good, so will have to wait and see.

At the moment I am having real 'problems' with the Internet connection here on the campsite.
    (This latest update has taken me close on 5 hours to get the pictures uploaded to Photobucket so bear with me for the next one!)