Thread: Fuel leak

Default Fuel leak

Hi, I checked a fuel leak in the tank of my '98 xc70 and the problem is with some sort of metal caps that are very rusted. The problem is that the wires from the sender unit goes thru there, and is dificult to put some epoxy. The question is if ai replace the sender unit, will it come with this metal cap or do I have to figure out a different aproach to fix this. Thanks a lot for your help.

Is there a cheaper option for the sneder unit? I checked some going for $410 !!!!!

I almost forgot, can some one recommend a good online volvo used part dealer? Thanks a lot.

Jose Gonzalez E
    Guatemala
    '98 xc70
    Last edited by jtge; 03-22-2011 at 08:31 PM.

No one? Any help? I'm afraid to buy an expensive sending unit, and find out it doesn't come with the cap so I can replace the rusted one I have ( actually, in both sides of the tank) or maybe I just can get the caps from a used parts dealer?

Thanks for the help,

Jose

You probably don't want to hear this.... My car recently needed a fuel line repair. This involved dropping the whole back end of the car to get at the lines which are on top of the fuel tank, and the fuel tank is between the rear drive train and the floor. Parts were expensive, and it took 7 hours labour.

My car is fine now, but you might want to think hard about whether it is worth it.

Thanks for the reply. I know I have to take down the rear tranny, and lower the tank, but wanted to know if there are reputable used parts dealers, (like for range rovers, I have two of them....) that is just because of the high price of the fuel sender, and I'm not sure yet if the metal caps withe the wires that are rusted and leaking, come with the part or not. I don't want to spend that much in a part without knowing it will do the trick!! I'll keep searching the web for a possible solution. Thanks for your reply though.

Regards

Eeuroparts.com is a good, inexpensive source for OEM and aftermarket parts. Vandsautodismantlers.com is a good salvage source.

Thanks a lot.