Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cost of Replacing Accessory Belt and Tensioner?

Last night the tensioner exploded and took the accessory belt with it.
    This morning, I drove it to the 2nd closest repair place to my home. (There's a closer shop, just two blocks away, but this other one (Yuille Autoworks) has a good reputation for Volvo service.)

They just got back to me with the quote: $413 + tax.

I am gonna pay it, I just want to know if I am getting hosed!

I am assuming you are talking about the accessory belt tensioner. If I remember from when I did my timing belt this was a pretty easy change if you only needed to do the accessory belt however to change the tensioner (which I also did) I had to get at one of the bolts from the passenger side wheel well. You are prob looking at $100ish bucks in parts (maybe more if you go all OEM) and I would think a competent mechanic would be able to get this done in an hour. $413 seems high to me.
    current: 2001 XC70 207,000mi, original tranny

past: 1987 740GLE tranny...bleh
    past: 1979 240DL head-on collision

Serpentine belt is $29 from IPD. Tensioner is $64.

To replace both is an hour or so, tops...

$200 - $250 seems reasonable to me...what are they charging for parts/labor?
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Cheapo

I priced your parts at VOH this afternoon. These are retail prices (what you would pay)....belt = $106.82, tensioner (not in stock BTW) = $164.94, which equals $286.76 total for parts. So that leaves $141.24 for labour which is not realistic, which means that they would mark up the parts from the prices I just gave you. VOH doesn't deliver either, so Yuille's would have to go get them, or have them couriered. A realistic labour amount (to me) would be an hour, and I'm sure their rate is not as high as VOH ($95/hr.), so I'm pretty sure you're still further ahead than if you had gone to VOH. Depending on the parts I go there for, I usually get 10-25% off them; I've gotten parts at cost there as well. If you're like me, you need the parts yesterday, so waiting it out is not an option.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Default oem replacement parts

is that for oem replacement parts? looking for breakdown of the prices for the parts: Serpentine belt and Tensioner. but where did you bought those? i need it for my car. please help me on this one. thanks a lot!

If you can wait a few days, better deals are often found on line.

IPD sells OEM parts (made by the OE suppliers, though they may/may not come in Volvo boxes, they are good quality parts) and they are very helpful with tech support: http://www.ipdusa.com/

Further, many dealers sell on line. E.G: http://www.discountvolvoparts.com/

I would try FCP Groton as well: http://www.fcpgroton.com/

Shop around - your local dealer may not have the best price, but if you need the part right away, they will give you a 10% discount for being part of VCOA or the High Mileage club - but you have to ask...

From FCP Groton site: tensioner - $64.99, belt - $32.00 and they're running a 15% off coupon and free shipping...IPD...tensioner $63.54 and belt $29.37...shop around...
    Last edited by Astro14; 03-31-2011 at 04:51 AM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Or you can do what I did look on line , then go to the main dealer and say I can get the parts plus P & P for whatever can you match that , and they said yes picked them up next day .

Lucky you to have a dealer who has noticed we're in the 21st century.

In contrast, if I did that around here, I'd be the funny story around the staff lunch table for a day or two.

Let's just say I know where the local dealers have their heads, and it isn't where the sun is shining....

Quote Originally Posted by chipenter View Post
    Or you can do what I did look on line , then go to the main dealer and say I can get the parts plus P & P for whatever can you match that , and they said yes picked them up next day .

I agree - I ship to Ogdensburg NY and make the 40 min. trip. - the saving are worth it - the difference in the cost of filling your tank actually pays for the trip.
    MY05 XC70: +4C+DSTC +Premium Pkg +Zimmerman Coated+Ceramic +General UHP+Rims +IPD Solid Strut Conv. +IPD Poly Mounts +IPD HD TCV +IPD HDCoils

Default All the other stuff that went pear-shaped.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Cheapo

I priced your parts at VOH this afternoon. These are retail prices (what you would pay)....belt = $106.82, tensioner (not in stock BTW) = $164.94, which equals $286.76 total for parts. So that leaves $141.24 for labour which is not realistic, which means that they would mark up the parts from the prices I just gave you. VOH doesn't deliver either, so Yuille's would have to go get them, or have them couriered. A realistic labour amount (to me) would be an hour, and I'm sure their rate is not as high as VOH ($95/hr.), so I'm pretty sure you're still further ahead than if you had gone to VOH. Depending on the parts I go there for, I usually get 10-25% off them; I've gotten parts at cost there as well. If you're like me, you need the parts yesterday, so waiting it out is not an option.

Dave.
    Thanks Dave!
    The parts costs on my invoice match your VoH numbers exactly. Labour was another $136, but I don't know the hourly rate.

Two days after this repair, we started noticing a gas smell near the car. The fuel filter was leaking. We took it in to Master Auto (our usual mechanic) for repair and the mechanic noticed that the spring on our right front wheel was cracked!

Also, while I was looking for the gas leak, I noticed that the pan under the engine was coated in oil and had drips at a few locations. Our turbo has had a slow leak since we bought the car it last June, so I figured that was the source of the oil.

We had the oil leak looked at while the spring and fuel filter were being repaired. Fouad (the owner of Master Auto) washed the engine and diagnosed it as coming from the gasket between the engine and bell housing. He said we should leave it and keep an eye on it.

Sigh.

The turbo leak was never anything much—I was really enjoying owning a car that didn't leave spots all over the driveway!

Tough week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast