Default Afterthoughts on a Broken Coil Spring

Last week the coil spring in my driver's side 04 XC-70 broke.

I took it to my local indy (good reputation among nearby Volvo owners). After four separate discussions with them and reviewing comments from members in this forum (which helped shape my questions), the broken coil spring was replaced as well as front struts on both sides to the tune of about $1,100, including wheel alignments.

On reflection, I am now wondering whether they should have replaced both springs? And very generally, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on what I paid. (I live in the Washington D.C. area).

Thanks

Knowing the roads up there, not any better in Southeastern VA, probably would have been better to replace them in a pair, considering they had to yank it off to get to the strut. It's always easier in retrospect to look at situations. The bill doesn't sound too far off for the Metro DC area.

I did that for an older car I had, and it was worth it. I wound up doing it myself and save a bunch of money, however still needed the computer alignment.

The other question you would probably consider is WHY did it break? I know mine broke on my old car b/c I kept it overloaded with crap while I was in college. I now only put in there what I need, except for some basic emergency items. I used to tote ALL my tools in there before...but that was when gas was under a buck a gallon !!!! LOL

Good luck,
    Mike

Same labor, I can't fathom why you didn't replace both springs.
    That price is nuts in any dollars, US or Canadian

Not to pile on...but you really want to do suspension parts in pairs. E.G. balljoints, mounts, bushings, struts, springs. It stand to reason that if one side is worn out, the other side, which has been subjected to identical conditions and is close to being worn out. Since most of the cost is labor, and you're already paying for the other parts, the marginal cost is modest.

Front springs generally last a long time...If I had a freak breakage at say, 20K miles, then I would do just that part...but given the age of the car (and guessing that you've got close to 100K on it) there will be an appreciable difference in spring rate between old and new.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)