Default rain sensor not working after windshield replacement

I had my windshield replaced yesterday and the rain sensor is not engaging anymore. The green light on the button flashes on, and then off right away (instead of staying on as before).

Any ideas? The guys at the glass shop thought it was probably they need to add some kind of gel or something like that.

Thanks.

No, ther's no "gel"
    Go back and tell your insurance company and the glass Co. and tell them to install OEM VOLVO glass.
    This is not uncommon with aftermarket glass, and if it is by some chance OEM Volvo glass, take it back to Volvo

Had the same issue and was resolved with a new OEM windshield installed at the dealer.
    2006 XC70 Ruby Red, mfg 03/06 (traded)
    2005 S80 Ash Gold, mfg 11/04
    2016 XC60 T6 mfg 04/15

WOW I feel like an idiot.

I went to the biggest glass shop in Quebec (lebeau.ca), and decided not to go through insurance. They explained to me that there really is no such thing as OEM Volvo glass in Canada, because it all comes from the same manufacturer. That the only difference is that when it is destined for a Volvo dealer, the Volvo decals get applied.

It seemed logical to me. Frick! As I type this, I can't believe I didn't do more checking first.

They LIE!

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    They LIE!
    YEP. They're lying to you. And they isn't one manufacturer of auto glass in Quebec, there are 4. And each one can produce varying qualities of windshield glass depending on the specs for the car and how much you want to spend.

If you want your rain sensor to work again, you need to get Volvo glass. It's not made in Quebec.

Thanks for all your help so far.

I just galled the glass shop. He explained that there are two types of glass - OEM and aftermarket. He said that OEM glass comes from one of 6 manufacturers (he listed them by name) and that only these 6 companies are authorized to make windshields for the dealers. He explained that these 6 companies have 2 types of customers - dealers, and shops like them. And that their glass is absolutely 100% different than what I would get at the dealer, with the exception of the VOLVO decal.

He said aftermarket glass is something completely different, and they don't deal with that because the specs could be different.

Does any of that make sense to you guys, or sound plausible? This company is huge - Lebeau - and they are by far the biggest glass company in Quebec. I can't believe they would be outright systematically lying (then again, Saddam never really did have those WMD did he?)

It certainly doesn't answer why my rain sensor isn't working... speaking of which:

We went through my problem again, with the rain sensor, and he was surprised to hear me suggest that Volvo doesn't use a gel on their rain sensors. He said "they have to... every manufacturer does". He's going to call me back tomorrow, once his technicians are back in and they will double check the specs for Volvo.

FRICK! How does that old saying go... "if its too cheap to be true..."

Default Rain sensor installation?

How is the rain sensor attached to the new windshield.The rain sensor
    on my old chipped windshield works fine. Can this be removed from old
    windshield and attached to a new Pilkington windshield as opposed to buying a new sensor unit?
    The new windshield comes designed for rain sensor. Is there a separate adhesive kit that can be used after cleaning the
    old (good) sensor unit. One installer says he can use the old one and the other says I need a new unit.

Also got the same problem, from Thailand. The Volvo said it is not their responsibility because this rain sensor problem appear as usual....

Still wait for any suggestion too.