Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater Problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Heater Problem

2002 V70 XC 134,000 miles. New transmission.

When I start my car in the morning, the heater doesn't work. Or, I should say the fan doesn't blow. This has been going on for a month or so, off and on. If my car has been sitting in the sun for several hours, the heat comes on full blow. Also, I have had to add coolant. Could be unrelated but the add coolant, stop engine now message just came on again. Any ideas? It's really cold here in KC and I need more heat than just in the seats!

I reckon they're separate issues. Assuming that your system is functioning correctly (they won't blow if you've asked for heat and the engine is cold...they start as the engine warms up. Defrost will blow full as soon as it's selected...) - then it's likely your blower fan in need of lube if it works fine when warm...

And you've got a coolant leak.

I don't have experience with either one...so I am sure some more senior folks will pitch in...but lubing the blower is not hard - it's behind the glove box...then chase down that leak. And top off with only the Volvo blue-green...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Art is offline Senior Member & VolvoXC.com Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by mschiesl View Post

When I start my car in the morning, the heater doesn't work. Or, I should say the fan doesn't blow. This has been going on for a month or so, off and on. If my car has been sitting in the sun for several hours, the heat comes on full blow.
    It's possible that the blower issue could be related to the cabin temp sensor. ie the pulse value for the blower motor does not match that of the temp sensor. For a start, check the vent grill for dust bunnies that might be blocking the sensor's fan motor. The vent is located just above the passenger side temp knob. An easy way to see if the fan is functioning is to place a thin piece of tissue up against the grill. If it is sucked towards the vent then it's working. The sensor fan only works if the cabin temp is higher than 14 F.

There's an informative thread discussing the separate components of the temp sensor in the link below:

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...erature+sensor

I recently had a similar issue and turned out to be the coolant thermostat. The failing thermostat was causing the following

- mysterious loss of coolant and no leak anywhere in the system. I guess the failing thermostat must caused some excess purge. After thermostat change, no more coolant loss

- engine temperature gauge doesn't look normal. The needle is usually just about right in the middle on this car. When thermostat failed, it would be further to the left (cooler) quite often.

- ECC cabin temp would not get hot until max. My ECC temperature sensor fan was working so that wasn't the issue.

I was surprised a bad thermostat could cause all of this. If you have some of these symptoms, you might just replace the thermostat. But if your heater fan is not turning on. Thats something else. Perhaps jammed ECC cabin sensor fan as noted by Art.
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

mysterious loss of coolant and no leak anywhere in the system. I guess the failing thermostat must caused some excess purge. After thermostat change, no more coolant loss
    No.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mschiesl View Post

When I start my car in the morning, the heater doesn't work. Or, I should say the fan doesn't blow. This has been going on for a month or so, off and on. If my car has been sitting in the sun for several hours, the heat comes on full blow. Also, I have had to add coolant. Could be unrelated but the add coolant, stop engine now message just came on again. Any ideas? It's really cold here in KC and I need more heat than just in the seats!
    How much coolant have you had to add? Have you checked under your driver's side floor mat to see if your heater core is leaking? Any evidence of a leak anywhere else?
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

I also had a coolant loss. Id top up and a week later the DIM would say "Coolant Level Low Stop Engine ASAP" Check under your bumper, mine was wet but it never dripped unless it stood for 2 or more days. But the leak stopped, don't ask me how but I'm happy. If it's leaking very little I'd hold off and see if it continues
    2001 V70XC (132K)
    1993 940 (247K)
    2002 S60 T5M (200K)

Coolant leak? I put in Prestone coolant...probably shouldn't have. Gotta go to the dealership and get Volvo coolant. No leaks, snow under car would prove a leak and it's not there. Aren't our cars fun?

Default Chemistry

Prestone isn't compatible. Nearly all brands of coolant use ethylene glycol to achieve the lowered freezing point and increased boiling point, but there are several different chemical bases for the rest of the coolant. The Volvo blue-green, like many European manufacturers, uses an organic acid technology. Prestone is conventional and often has silicates. Part of the reason Volvo water pumps last so long is the coolant formulation. Mercedes uses the same chemical base, but it's straw colored.

Mixing the two formulations can lead to the formation of precipitates or even gel in the cooling system...

So, no, you probably shouldn't have added the Prestone...as ridiculously priced as the Volvo Blue-Green is, it takes only one gallon to refill the system after completely draining it. Oddly enough, M-B charges about $17/gal for their coolant, Volvo nearly $30...so, Mercedes charges half...

When you find the leak and fix it, consider draining the system (you can flush with clear water) and refilling it with the correct stuff.

Lest you think I am crazy about the gel formation, here's a guy who had that problem with his MB: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2152274
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

If you don't have easy access to the Volvo coolant consider Zerex G-05 .
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast