Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Passenger side water leak NOT the sunroof drains!

Help!

I have a new leak on my Wifes XC90. It appeared to be the sunroof drains but they were clear. Tracing it further, I found it is coming from the large white plastic box under the dash and behind the glovebox on the passenger side.

A link to the parts diagram is shown below. The plastic housing does have a drain through the floor, and it is clear both down through the body and up into the housing but the housing continues to leak.

http://www.partswebsite.com/autopart...40&catid=34585

So here's the question(s). How is the water getting into this part? Is this the fresh air intake and does it maybe come from the cowl area? Why would it not be flowing to the drain but rather seeming to leak from where the blower motor (part 18) mounts to the bottom of the casing (part 5)? Has anyone else gone through this one?

Edit: Perhaps if the cowl drain is clogged the water is finding a way in from the cowl area and running around this heater/air conditioner part before dripping on the floor? I can't see any water when looking through the glove box area at the cowl. I only see water down at the bottom of the motor/housing.
    Last edited by brents347; 10-24-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Here are some pictures taken from the car. The first is as seen from the glove box opening. In all three, the leak area is circled in red.

Last edited by brents347; 10-24-2010 at 03:35 PM.

AC condensation drain is probably plugged. Will happen with defroster too..
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

What does that mean? This is rain water, not condensation water. Does fresh air (water) come in from the cowl area?

As I said, the condensation drain hose (black hose with blue stripe in my second picture or part #16) is not clogged. Is this part the A/C condensation drain? If so, where is the defroster drain located?

Although this is a dated thread in hoping to get some help with my car. I have a 2006 xc90 with the same problem, or so it seems. I've checked the sunroof drains(good) re-sealed the seal at The open intake vent and I'm still getting water coming out from the cabin air filter. I'm at a complete loss. I'm confused as to where its comming from.

Default Passenger side water leak NOT the sunroof drains!

I'm having the same issue with my wife 2007 XC90. Can someone tell me what this part is, and what it is for? Somehow water is getting in. Seems like rain water, and not condensate. I only think this because there was debit inside and the condensation is draining underneath just fine. One screw was loose and it seemed to stop leaking after I tightened it. I'm just wondering why water is in there, or how it got in there. This piece doesn't seem like it's supposed to hold water, it has a flimsy rubber gasket that also seems to leak. This is on the passenger side behind the glove box. I accessed it by taking the panel off below the glove box. Thank you for any help.

One screw was loose and tightening it seemed to stop the leaking inside of the car, my concern is the water in it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1housing.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	5404

This is the inside of the cover, some debris can be seen and the rubber gasket was dripping a little.

Name:	inside of housing.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	5406

This is what it looks like with that black cover off.

Name:	inside of unit.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	5407
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bottom of housing.jpg  

that's where the cabin air filter goes -

Thank you. I took it apart a little further and noticed the blower fan inside. I just do not know how water is getting inside the cabin air filter housing. I guess I'll have to check near the windshield.

Quote Originally Posted by MPL305 View Post
    Thank you. I took it apart a little further and noticed the blower fan inside. I just do not know how water is getting inside the cabin air filter housing. I guess I'll have to check near the windshield.
    I know this is some what out dated, but my wife's 07' XC90 is now experiencing the same clear water appear on the passenger side by her feet. I opened the cabin air filter is the filter is dry. Looks like it's coming from the cabin air filter housing area. Either it rain water or AC condensation water as it clear and no odor to the water at all.

Anyone has this problem resolved??

Thanks,

Jay

I could be completely wrong and just lucky but...had a severe water problem on passenger floor side only after rains (visible standing water). Car was parked facing downhill each time with windows ruled out as the problem. one day I saw a debris spot in the rain channel on the roof where it goes beneath the forward roof rack mount. I found the area underneath completely clogged. After cleaning it out with a wire I have had no issues for 2 months despite several large storms with the car parked facing downhill. I have no idea what path the water would have taken to get inside from that point It would be great if this was the quick and free fix. Couldn't hurt to check. Good luck.

Newb
    2001 V70XC 212k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast