Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Changing a fuel injector(s) on a 2003 Volvo XC70-HOWTO

Just in case anyone is interested, I put together a simple pictorial howto on
    how I changed a fuel injector on my MY03 XC70 with 108K . I did this howto
    because I was not able to find any other procedure like this documented.

So here is a little insight to my problem and how I solved it. I was idling on a
    fairly hot day about 90F – 32C and suddenly the engine started to run rough.
    Engine light came on. I went down to AutoZone and had them pull the codes
    (for free).

PO301 (misfire cylinder 1)
    PO201 (Injector cylinder 1)

So my first thought was to replace the all 5 spark plugs and the coil pack
    ($62.00USD) on cylinder one, which I did. It ran better then before, but after
    about 15 to 20 minutes running, the engine would start to shudder again. So
    back to AutoZone and pulled the codes again. This time it was just PO201.
    Apparently I had two issues, coil pack and plugs solved one, and the injector
    was still a problem. So after trolling EBay I was able to buy a new Bosch fuel
    injector for $25.00USD.So this is what I did to replace the faulty fuel injector.

- The first step was to remove the plastic cover. I had to remove the bolt on
    the intercooler tube to gain access to the bolt (right side) holding the plastic
    fuel injector rail cover.

- Next step was to remove the two bolts holding on the fuel rail.

- At this point you will have to remove all the metal retaining clips on all 5
    fuel injectors. Once the clips are removed, unplug all the connectors from
    the fuel injectors. Then you’ll need to press the 2 tabs in on the plastic fuel
    line retainer, located underneath the fuel rail (between injector 1 and 2.)
    Once the tabs are pushed in you will be able to pry the rail and injectors
    from the cylinder head. This part I did very carefully with a long screw driver
    evenly prying the rail, from each end.

Fuel line clip under fuel rail

Clips and connectors removed

- Once the fuel rail was removed, I removed the retaining bracket, which kept the fuel injectors and fuel line retainer in place. Once removed, the fuel
    injector(s) can be pulled out.

Note the crack on the old fuel injector

- New injector(s) installed. Injector rail retaining bracket reinstalled, put
    everything back in, and bolted up and presto you’re done. This whole project
    took me around 45 minutes from start to finish. Problem solved! Just an
    added note, it never hurts to throw a little fuel injector cleaner in the gas
    tank. With all the ethanol in the fuel today, things can get clogged. Now
    my XC70 pulls like it was new again.

Cheers.

Oh and this is my first post here, so "hey" to everyone!
    Last edited by Tomgun; 09-14-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Default Thank you!

thank you for this tutorial...huge help!

Nice write up.

How could you get the new Bosch injector for only $25. Every where it is over $100, .

Thanks.
    2003 XC70, Blue, 198KKm, FL bearing & DIM replaced, no other major issues yet.

He mentions buying it off of Ebay. You can also purchase refurbished from sources such as rockauto.com... look around.

Quote Originally Posted by RockitShip View Post
    He mentions buying it off of Ebay. You can also purchase refurbished from sources such as rockauto.com... look around.
    Thanks. Just too cheap for me to believe,
    2003 XC70, Blue, 198KKm, FL bearing & DIM replaced, no other major issues yet.

Nicely done!!

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

Default Small correction

I just performed this operation and noticed a minor revision to the initial instructions. The fuel line connector on mine has 4 spring clips INSIDE the metal connector housing. (Sort of resembles a pneumatic fitting.) I was able to use a very small screwdriver and worked the clips with my left hand while while keeping constant pressure on the joint with my right. An improved method would be to use some kind of sleeve (just bigger than the fuel line) that you could slide into the joint and release all 4 spring slips simultaneously. Either way..this operation not a big job for a DIYer. I re-assembled the whole thing only to discover that I pinched one of the o-rings on the new injector when I inserted it into the fuel rail. I think it took me about 5 minutes to disassemble it again and another 10 to re-assemble. Once you know how to do it...it's a breeze. Thanks again for the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by schinigo View Post
    An improved method would be to use some kind of sleeve (just bigger than the fuel line) that you could slide into the joint and release all 4 spring slips simultaneously.
    There's a tool for that...

Quote Originally Posted by Tomgun View Post
    Just an added note, it never hurts to throw a little fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank. With all the ethanol in the fuel today, things can get clogged.
    You can also opt to use a Top Tier brand of gasoline which contains more detergent than EPA recommendations. Here is a list of gasoline retailers than meet Top Tier detergent requirements. In addition, using a polyether amine fuel additive every few thousand miles may help.

Great write up by Tomgun here. I had the same intermitent stumbling issue in stop and go traffic and same codes on the no. 4 cylinder. My fuel rail connection was different from the one here and all I had to do was slowly turn the fuel rail over, rather than disconnect it. Certainly made the job easier than dealing with line connecton clips. I left the screw in the right (passanger) side of the injector bracket and slid the left side out just enough to release the no. 4 injector. I found that the injectors did not want to pop back into the cylinder head easily and I didn't want to pinch an o-ring, so I slightly lubed them with a bit of Vaseline. I also got a replacement rebuilt injector on ebay for about $30 with core charge. The listed p/n was not the same, but the correct p/n was stamped on the injector. Cleared the codes and the car runs great now with no CEL!

Now if someone just knew how to get rid of my "SRS service urgent" message w/o a trip to the stealer my car would be perfect!

Thanks again!
    '06 Volvo XC90 2.5T AWD 115k miles
    '01 Volvo v70 T5 245k miles
    '04 MINI Cooper 145k miles
    '80 International Scout 115 miles
    '01 Volvo XC70 (gone at 100k miles)
    '93 Volvo 850 (gone at 195k miles)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast