Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Smile T6 transmission problem

Thanks for the info. I put the XC90 on stands and ran it. The grinding sound is definetely coming from the driver side axle. I really can't tell if it's the bearings or the transmission and I don't see any leakage whatsoever. I won't be able to isolate the noise without removing the axle. So, my next move is to remove the axle and determine what has been damaged...axle bearings, transmission or something else. Hopefully, I won't have to deal with Volvo USA.

Thanks again. I'll keep you all posted!

Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    How did you convince Volvo to replace your transmission? I read a lot of stories and they vary. It seem that Volvo is selective on who they take care of. Is there any criteria to meet?

On a different subject, was there any fix to what you discovered about the broken piece in the inner CV spline? I could not find any diagram that shows anything inside the spline.

Thanks
    Very easily
    The 04 T6 I just sold had a new tranny installed by Volvo mostly for FREE.
    New tranny, new radiator, new coolant line
    All parts paid by Volvo, labor by me so for about $1100 I had all those parts installed!.
    All you need to do is (forcefully ) ask/beg them for one

Default Axle finally off

I finally got the axle off. When I removed the bolt on end of the drive shaft fluid poured out. Yes, just like mgjonesin there is a broke off piece of metal as big as a qtr. inside the tx side spline area. I tried to spin the transmission but fluid poured out of the transmission at idle. So, there is no way for me to tell if I could still hear the grinding noise. So, here's my plan...get a new axle, install it and hopefully not hear the grinding sound. I guess the reason why the axle (maybe) could be grinding because the grease inside has been washed away by the tx fluid?

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post

Any suggestions?

Yes I do, stop working on this yourself.

Volvo is paying for new transmissions, radiators and coolant lines.
    (You may have to pay for labor but spending $1000-$1500 is far better than $5000++!)
    All you need to do is push them a bit. Volvo has admitted that this was an under/poorly engineered car and is making good on most of these.
    They're even paying for second transmissions at over 100K if the car otherwise is well maintained!

Default 2005 t6 xc90

JRL, Thanks for the advice! but it may be easy on my part to convince Volvo!

Any tricks or methods to convince Volvo? Did you write or call them? If you don't mind what/how did you say or ask? Did you take the car to the dealer and left it? Mine is at home right now. Yes, this car is pretty well maintained @ 124K miles. I only drive it on the weekends. I'd like to keep it!

Thanks again!

Go see your service manager.
    You tell him you know of SEVERAL 04T6 XC90s (some with high miles) that have had new transmissions fully or partially paid for by Volvo and you KNOW that Volvo is doing this.

You get him to call Volvo warranty and get an authorization
    (and have him get off his ass and do his job for the customer).

It helps that I have a very good relationship with my dealer, nevertheless, many are being replaced (for free), even the high mile ones.

You need ALL the pieces, radiator, tranny and tranny oil line, related
    O-rings and gaskets.

I didn't have to do anything, I asked for my price for a tranny install.
    I came back later in the day and he said
    "just pay me labor" I got you a transmission (and the other stuff)

Default Great thread...hopefully saved me a few thousand

This description from one of your posts was EXACTLY what I experienced today: "Ever since this happened I hear a low toned grinding or rubbing noise, something like a worn brake pad (I checked my pads and they are still thick). When I accelerate it goes away, when I let off the gas I can hear it and when I coast. When I step on the brakes it goes away. I only hear it at about 25MPH and above. My axle boots are all intact.". This guy was reading my mind.

I was hoping for brake pads, and would have been *happy* to just replace a CV joint.....but the fluid on the tranny stick is bubbly, stinky and grey. I've got the tx problem. Glad I found this thread from you guys. Saved me time and (hopefully) money.

PS: My 2005 XC90 T6 has a 100,000 mile extended warranty. Anyone want to guess my milage today? (100,058).

But your heard these noises more than 58 miles ago, yet you waited.....

Default My 16 year old daughter was driving it for a few weeks.....

....and she said she didn't hear anything. "Gee, maybe that's because you're always blasting the radio." The Service Manager at my dealer is going to push for a new one. He knows the issue well, I'm hoping it will work out.
    Thanks again. Great Forum.

Smile End of the line????

I am saddened to announce that VOLVO has refusedto compensate me at any cost even though this problem was well known. So my next move would join a class action lawsuit and send a letter to Sweden. Does anybody think that is a good idea? Hey, maybe those higher ups are not aware? I highly doubt it though?
    The reason why they did not want to cover it was because I had 124K miles on it. So, I asked VOLVO...what would be the difference of a 50K hard driven vehicle to a 124K lightly driven vehicle? My answer was, the 50K would fail before the 124K one.
    So, for you guys out there...drive that vehicle like there's no tomorrow for 100K miles and it's sure that VOLVO will replace that transmission. This came from VOLVO NA Customer Care...they will only replace transmissions with 100K or less, NO QUESTIONS!
    If anybody out there knows of a good tx rebuild shop let me know...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast