Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Considering an XC90 3.2 or V8

First time poster here. I'm looking for some advice on a potential purchase. I'm in the market for something bigger than my current car to accomodate my growing family (a two year old, and another baby on the way). Currently, my wife and I are pretty open to all alternatives, but the Volvo XC90 has certainly caught our attention.

I'm looking at the used market, primarily due to the prohibitive cost of a new, but I can stomach the price of a 3-year old machine with 60,000 to 100,000 km. The 3.2 L version seems to be the most common from 2007 forward with a few V8's mixed in there as well. Our primary application will be just regular day to day commuting, family stuff. I have no need to tow.

What has me concerned is that if I buy from a typical reseller (not a dealership), with next to no warranty, how "exposed" am I from breakdowns? I'm a little reluctant to purchase a high-end luxury SUV (in my opinion anyways) that came with a pretty hefty original purchase price, to find out it turns into a deep holed money pit. I don't necessarily get that impression as I read various threads. It looks like there's a few things, like the sunroof drainage problem, that are common (is that fixed for 2007 and later models?).

So what advice do you have for me?

And the next question is, should I consider the V8 model if it's to be had for marginally more money?
    Last edited by hackzaw; 09-21-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Looks as though the 2.5 turbo is a reccommended option. I see a few references where people suggest to look for the 2.5T. Any input on that machine?

Here's a question for all you XC90 owners. Would you buy another?

2.5 is solid, but later models have better options. 3.2 seems to be off the map and
    not a mentionable model, I think it was lacking for power. The V8 can be a risk
    if the engine has ever gotten wet, even for post-2005 models. T6 transmission
    is a big risk.

Roof drain are a common problem for every maker. If the vehicle is parked
    outside just plan on checking the drain every 6 months. They are not hard to
    clean out. We park inside, so I just check with a cup of water once a year, but
    there is never even any dirt around the drains.
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

Thanks for the reply dmd.

What model/year would you recommend then. It didn't sound like you were too optimistic about any of them.

I'm trying to understand what you were saying with the 3.2. You said the "3.2 seems to be off the map and not a mentionable model, I think it was lacking for power". Does this mean to avoid the 3.2? Or by "off the map", do you mean "remarkably great"?

Input from people have the 3.2 as un-memorable, the NA engine
    didnt seem to impress. On the other side, there are no real problems
    with it either.

2.5T Has a more peppy feel, and is rock solid mechanically.

You can get a newer 3.2 with more gadgets than you can with a 2.5T, you
    just need to make the drive and see what you like.
    2000 F350, 4x4, Crewcab, 7.3L Turbo Powerstroke Diesel
    2005 XC90 2.5T OSD 06/2005

I have been driving the 3.2L (new) for 1.5 years now.
    Have been very happy with. No issues.
    No power problem, maybe slightly lacking if compared to the V8, but do you need to rev your vehicle all the time?

Very good car. 1.5 years of pure pleasure.

I purchased my 2007 V8 about 8 months ago and have been impressed ever since. I test drove 3.2s exclusively for weeks prior and came nearly close to buying one. On a whim i test a drove V8 and it was a like driving a different car. The mileage is outstanding (hwy 28m/gall, city 23m/gall). I have heard that the 2.5T is peppy in comparison, however it is only availbe on older models as the 3.2 was its repalcement. For me, I was not prepared to go older than 2007, as this was the year the XC90 saw most improvments in exnterior/interior styling. i jsut recently had my V8 in for some minor warranty work and was given a 3.2 as a loaner - i missed my V8 within blocks of driving away.

I would agree with the above post. My wife loves her V8 and she gets a solid 24 mpg mountain driving - she is not light on the pedal either. Drives like a sports car and very stable on the mountain roads, ice and snow. From what I have heard the V8 engines have less problems than the other powertrain/tranny combos.
    05 Volvo XC90 V8
    97 Ford F250 7.3L PSD
    89 Jeep Cherokee
    73 Toyota LandCruiser w/plow

I have had an '08 3.2 AWD since new and I like it. It is comfortable for all the long distance driving that I do for work. My only complaint is that it is terribly boring. However, we have had no problems at all in 46k miles, even still have the same Michelin oes. I too looked at the V8 at the time, but opted for the 6 due to its lesser cost. If I was going to pay the premium for the V8 I would have just moved over to the Bimmer X5.

Default Xc90

Give it some good thought.

The V8 is a gas guzzler. I get about 13 mpg (US gallons) combined highway/city in a 2006 V8 and that is driving conservatively (though I reside in an area with a fair amount of hills). With the price of fuel on an increasing trend, I would not go for the V8 again. Who cares about a little extra umph that comes with the V8.

The V8 also costs more to maintain. Tire dimensions are rarer so the tires cost more. The muffler set up cost about $2,000.00 (CDN) and there are no after market options as it is too new and there is not enough of a market to make it worth while. Etc. etc.

In any event, I believe that the V8 is no longer available as a new vehicle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast