Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I am looking for some real help not condescending talk. I know this has to be done correctly and with good OEM parts. Trust me I am so sick of this car puking oil all over the floor of my garage. I also understand doing it right the first time.

Jeremy
    I apologize, it wasn't try to be.
    I was just trying to say find a good mechanic who's done these (not many have) or if you're doing it yourself, please replace the big hose and clean out that entry into the pan.
    Good luck with this.
    I almost made the same mistake and not too long ago, when I almost missed the clogged connector.
    When I saw that I just bit the bullet and bought the big hose as I needed everything new by that point

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    I apologize, it wasn't try to be.
    I was just trying to say find a good mechanic who's done these (not many have) or if you're doing it yourself, please replace the big hose and clean out that entry into the pan.
    Good luck with this.
    I almost made the same mistake and not too long ago, when I almost missed the clogged connector.
    When I saw that I just bit the bullet and bought the big hose as I needed everything new by that point
    No problem.

I am so sick of this that I actually went to a very highly recommend shop. I never have others work on my car unless it absolutely something I can't do. Needless to say I am not very pleased with what their answers were as to what was causing this leak and how many hours they charged for it and it still leaks like it did before. I also figured that I was missing something by cleaning rather than replacing so looks like the cleaning was fine as no improvement with new parts. I am going to look at the heater on the intake again and double check it is fully open. Will report back for the others if I find anything. Most likely will be some 5 cent part that was overlooked by all.

Jeremy
    2001 V70XC, 2K V70, '87 740 TI Wagon 325K+! (what are the chances of the XC making it to 325K?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I went to a very highly recommend shop. Needless to say I am not very pleased with what their answers were as to what was causing this leak and how many hours they charged for it and it still leaks like it did before.
    Eh? You go to a mechanic and ask them to fix the oil leak, they say they know what's wrong and charge you mega bucks to fix it and it still leaks? Seems like something is wrong here! An oil leak of the size you're describing can't be that hard to find!

Ok, so now I'm wondering if my shop did the PCV cleaning/replaced things properly. The dealership just called and said that the oil trap is what's leaking and causing oil to get up in and around the timing belt.

Not what I wanted to hear, since I just had the PCV system cleaned out. Don't really feel like paying another $450 to have something done twice.
    ___
    Clarification - the dealership says that it's leaking where the oil trap connects to the engine block. The wind is pushing the oil around to the front of the engine and it's getting caught/blown up into the timing belt area.

My independent shop used a zip tie to make that connection...maybe it came loose? Don't know why they used zip ties - I gave them hose clamps from my IPD kit.
    ___

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by JayPinNC; 08-18-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added some details.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Default Fixed leak, sort of.......

Well here is the latest news of my two year oil leak. (Actually the news is about three months old.)

Shop call back to make sure that my service was satisfactory blah blah blah..
    I said I was a little disappointed after spending $$$ to replace a seal I had just replaced and having a new timing belt installed due to the oil on the other one and that I was not really to pleased to find it still leaking as much or more than before and this is after I replaced all of the PCV hose noted in my prior post.

They were glad to have me bring it back and make it right so I figured third times a charm, Right?

One thing they didn't want to do was run and drive it with the top timing belt cover off like I had suggested to see where the leak was starting from. If you wait until it comes out the bottom its too late, its everywhere.

Took off the cover and cleaned with gunk and hot water until its spotless. Ran engine for 45 minutes and kept checking behind the cam where the one seal I haven't replaced is and watched for leaks. None noted so far. Drove 25 miles to work checked again using mirror. No leak. Weird; as after driving about the same distance before, oil was everywhere.
    Kept an eye on it, checked the garage floor drip pan. Dry, no oil. Weird. Must be no oil in engine, nope its full.

Here we are four months later and still no leaks, weird. Still have the cover off, scared to put it back on and have the oil leak start again. The only thing I can think of is that washing with hot water some how washed out a piece of muck than maybe was trapped in the seal.

The other funny thing is after replacing all of the PCV parts (and the leak has stopped) the shop now says that the crank pressure is positive,not negative any more and that's why its leaking (actually its not leaking any more). Before it was negative but at upper limit. I really think they are reading the gauge backwards but who knows. Oh and if your wondering why I went back the third time if it wasn't leaking it because they had misadjusted the tension on the timing belt and insisted they re do it ( still didn't get it totally correct). The shop is a very well known and highly recommended in the Seattle area. I really don't know why I am having all of these issues. I think I just keep having the same subpar mechanic working on it.

Well other than wasting $$$ on parts and labor I didn't need I am glad it has stopped recreating the Gulf oil spill in my garage each week.

Jeremy
    2001 V70XC, 2K V70, '87 740 TI Wagon 325K+! (what are the chances of the XC making it to 325K?)

Hello

please help me - i changed PCV System and got NOW Oil leaks there. I got an 94 850T5 and i am not shure if i connected the pressure/negpressure system - there is an old wiring on this car i think - on my 96 850R there ist a connector in the line from PTC to intake manifold; on this 94er there is no connect by intakemanifold, so i connected it in front - i think itīs the line over head back to ptc (see picture).

So i got negative pressure on PTC, PTC is clear - i think it should work. So i think i also can have a brocken connector behind/under PCV Box - i have to get out again and have to look.

But i dont check how much oil is in this PCV box - i think this is not normal

sorry for bad english - hope anyone can help me`?

tahkn you,
    greetings from austira
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9333.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12