Default 2004 XC70 sudden electrical? failure

Hi all,

no prior issues but just jumped in the car and had the engine light come on. Did a quick check under the hood and saw nothing obvious. Drove to the grocery store with the light on. Got out of the store and restarted engine and now it won't shift, ABS lights are on and the speedometer and trip odometer aren't working. Car starts from 3rd gear I think and stays there even at highway speeds. And now it won't start. At least it got me home

Any ideas?
    Last edited by TankerYanker; 01-29-2017 at 10:44 AM.

Check your battery first.
    A low or bad battery can cause all of this.
    If it charges up fine and everything is good again, do a complete charge test on your electrical system
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Thanks JRL. I will try that. I disconnected the battery from under the hood and left the terminal off for 1/2 an hour then reconnected. It started fine but then got all the other symptons back. I will give it a charge and see if that changes anything.