Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PCV + Oil Leak = No Joy

Been fighting and chasing oil leak for the past year. Changed all of the seals less the exhaust cam (due to the trouble of realigning the gear), resealed the pan, cleaned the PCV system still leaking, took in into a local Volvo shop where they said it was the front lower main seal which was only a year old. Guess what still leaking after $700! Took it back and they said the crankcase pressure was at the upper limit and that the PCV may be restricted. For $1500 they could replace the box and hose. I ordered the kit fro IPD and replaced the box, elbows, and hose assy. also checked the passageways in the block to make sure they were clear and they where. Still leaks like a sieve from the front of the engine some where.

My question is regarding the valve on the intake hose just above the turbocharger that the PCV hose ties into. I guess that it opens and closes under different conditions controlling when the PCV vents into the intake. I think that this valve is faulty but do not know how it operates so kind of hard to check it to make sure its operating correctly.

When the shop was checking for leaks they could not see any leaks at idle but after driving for 20 min on the highway the bottom was covered in oil. I think that when the pressures come up during high revs and load and the valve is not allowing the PCV system to vent causing this mess.

Jeremy
    2001 V70XC, 2K V70, '87 740 TI Wagon 325K+! (what are the chances of the XC making it to 325K?)

That's not a valve, it's a heater element known as a PTC nipple, that prevents moisture condensation in the PCV gasses. Here are some pics from matthewsvolvosite

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=28487

Did you clean out the crud from the end of the line that goes into the oil pan?
    A couple of weeks ago I posted about that line and if it's blocked, all the oil will do is back up into the breather box and when that's full it starts pushing out the seals!!
    Obviously the PCV breather was not cleaned/replaced properly or thoroughly,
    You need to do a COMPLETE breather box and have ALL hoses REPLACED now, this is not a simple cleaning and has to be done correctly.

Posting your year and mileage would help

JRL - if someone were to service a PCV system and NOT clean out the end of the line that goes into the oil pan, I'm guessing the symptoms would be the same (or similar) as if it had not been serviced at all - pressure + smoke out the dipstick tube?

I'm not under my car - is that line into the pan something I can get to easily? I'd like a loo at it.

I just had my PCV system "cleaned" (all hoses except the big one with the banjo fittings were replaced - the one with the banjo fittings was cleaned) but now I'm seeing an oil leak from the front of the engine. I say 'cleaned' because you never know what a mechanic at an independent shop knows (or doesn't know) about these cars.

I'm thinking my leak could be just the result of doing the PCV service a few thousand miles too late. And what was once a little leak when the service was done is now a noticeable leak.

Timing belt is way overdue too, so I'll have them look at the seals etc when they're under there. Hoping it's just a seal worn from time and the PCV system not being serviced in time and not from current pressure built up in the car.

Year + mileage = 01, 129,000miles.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Quote Originally Posted by JayPinNC View Post
    JRL - if someone were to service a PCV system and NOT clean out the end of the line that goes into the oil pan, I'm guessing the symptoms would be the same (or similar) as if it had not been serviced at all - pressure + smoke out the dipstick tube?
    No, the PCV system malfunctions when there is little or no vacuum in the system caused by blocked PCV hoses. The oil return line at the bottom of the oil trap allows oil to drain back into the pan, there is another vacuum line into the crankcase itself higher up. The vacuum lines for the PCV system block when they suck crud up out of the oil trap which happens when too much crud accumulates in the oil trap.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPinNC View Post
    I'm not under my car - is that line into the pan something I can get to easily? I'd like a loo at it.
    No, as a matter of fact it's a lot of work to get a look at, you have to take the oil trap off along with everything else that entails. The oil drain hole from the trap back into the block accumulates crud something like this

Crud in that hole is an indication of crud in the bottom of the oil trap also. The more crud you have in that hole, the higher the oil level will be in the bottom of the oil trap which will increase the chance of oil and crud getting sucked into the PCV vacuum line, clogging it up. If that hole were totally blocked up you'd run into PCV problems again very quickly, but I'd be surprised if somebody serviced the PCV system and didn't clean out the oil return hole in the crankcase.
    Last edited by sjonnie; 08-13-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Ok, your post set me at ease. It would make sense for a Volvo shop to know enough to clean this out.

I'll just have to see where my leak is coming from when they do the timing belt.

Thanks for the response!

Well said.
    At times I don't replace the large line either (because of cost) but cleaning it thoroughly and PROPERLY is important. If this isn't/wasn't done, you may as well replace it along with the other hoses and lines.

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Did you clean out the crud from the end of the line that goes into the oil pan?Yep, did that a year ago when the engine was out and also checked it when the pan was off and when I replaced the hose.
    A couple of weeks ago I posted about that line and if it's blocked, all the oil will do is back up into the breather box and when that's full it starts pushing out the seals!!
    Obviously the PCV breather was not cleaned/replaced properly or thoroughly,
    You need to do a COMPLETE breather box and have ALL hoses REPLACED now, this is not a simple cleaning and has to be done correctly.
    Obviously you were not at my house a month ago when I had the manifold off and replaced ALL OF THE PARTS WITH NEW VOLVO PARTS- HOSE- BOX-ELBOWS- HOSE CLAMPS- WASHERS ETC

Posting your year and mileage would help See signature 2001 XC miles 150,000
    I am looking for some real help not condescending talk. I know this has to be done correctly and with good OEM parts. Trust me I am so sick of this car puking oil all over the floor of my garage. I also understand doing it right the first time.

Jeremy
    2001 V70XC, 2K V70, '87 740 TI Wagon 325K+! (what are the chances of the XC making it to 325K?)

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    That's not a valve, it's a heater element known as a PTC nipple, that prevents moisture condensation in the PCV gasses. Here are some pics from matthewsvolvosite

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=28487
    Thanks for the info, good pics

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Well said.
    At times I don't replace the large line either (because of cost) but cleaning it thoroughly and PROPERLY is important. If this isn't/wasn't done, you may as well replace it along with the other hoses and lines.
    I gave my shop the long line and they didn't use it. I'm not complaining - IPD will take it back and pro-rate the refund of the long line out of the entire kit. That line is $100+ !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast