Default Abs/anti-skid service required

hello to all, this is my first post hope and hope I posted it in the right place.
    ABS/ANTI-SKID SERVICE REQUIRED
    I have on my console the ABS light on as soon as I start the car. And as soon as I turn a corner the anti-skid light turns on. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should do. Also was told that if I have to change the computer for the ABS that it was only a dealer item.

Thanks

Would help to know what year your car is
    Who told you the ABS module is a dealer only item?
    About $100 to repair it and when done, it's better than an original as they FIX the problem.
    If your car is newer than an 01 then that's another matter

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    Would help to know what year your car is
    Who told you the ABS module is a dealer only item?
    About $100 to repair it and when done, it's better than an original as they FIX the problem.
    If your car is newer than an 01 then that's another matter
    Sorry, the year would help.

2004's don't have the problem with ABS modules, like '98-'02.

You have a different issue, get it diagnosed correctly before you spend money on an ABS module.
    John, '01 V70 T5
    '04 V70 2.5T

Quote Originally Posted by wurthman View Post
    hello to all, this is my first post hope and hope I posted it in the right place.
    ABS/ANTI-SKID SERVICE REQUIRED
    I have on my console the ABS light on as soon as I start the car. And as soon as I turn a corner the anti-skid light turns on. Does anyone have an opinion on what I should do. Also was told that if I have to change the computer for the ABS that it was only a dealer item.

Thanks
    That sentence there makes my think you have a bad Steering Angle Sensor/Clock Spring. You'll need to check codes to confirm.

I will be going to be a garage to confirm the error code this week.
    Thank you for all your feedback so far.
    Please keep your opinions coming, I appreciate your feedback.
    Wurthman

Default Problem solved, ABS ring gear question

Got my diagnostic done by my garage this week. They found my error code to be ABS sensor front right wheel.
    So went off to my local Volvo dealer and purchased a new ABS sensor. It took me no more than 20 minutes to install the new ABS sensor. Then took the car around the block and the Abs/anti-skid service required code reset itself. On further inspection of the ABS components, I found the ABS sensor slightly grinded down and found a crack in the ABS ring gear.
    Question, can I continue to use the same ring gear or will I have to replace it soon.
    I also turned the brake disc several times to see if the ring gear was rubbing the ABS sensor; I did not see or hear any rubbing.

http://www.thenitrorcshop.com/wp-con...8/DSCN0217.jpg

http://www.thenitrorcshop.com/wp-con...8/DSCN0218.jpg
    XC 70 2004 - W/Winter & Summer tires

wurthman,

thanks for posting the fix to your problem.

we need more original posters to do the same so we all learn on what fixed the original problem.
    John, '01 V70 T5
    '04 V70 2.5T

Default Similar Exp

just wanted to add my experience/fix for others

2007 XC70 33K mi.

i had been getting intermittent 'anti-skid temporarily off' and 'anti-skid service required' messages for about 2 weeks. They would come on at start, sometimes they would go off during the drive, sometimes on a subsequent start.

Volvo dealership upgraded software, and diagnosed a steering angle sensor fault. replaced the Constant Contact Ring in the steering wheel.

i_xc70