View Poll Results: Do you do your own work on your car?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'll tackle anything

119 63.98%
  • Yes, but only minor repairs.

61 32.80%
  • No

6 3.23%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

FirstVolvo, I have a basic question. Where's the Upper Electronic Module? I've had the SRS Airbag Urgent Light on now for a 2 days now. I read on another thread it may be a loose connection on the module. I figure if its not a loose connection, I will head to the dealer.

Herc
    Last edited by HercsRule; 12-09-2010 at 12:10 PM.

HercsRule

The Upper Electronics Module is located in the rear view mirror enclosure. It’s a circuit board stuck to the backside of the rear view mirror glass with 2 sided tape.

From what I’ve read about the SRS airbag light being on, it appears anytime the low-speed network, which is a two wire communication data channel between many of the modules, is interrupted when power is on, the battery connected, the SRS light will come on. The most common occurrence I read about is when someone disconnects the climate control module connectors with the battery connected then the SRS light comes on.
    The two common wires go from one module to the next so an intermittent connection problem could be anyplace if the problem occurs on its own (nothing accidently disconnected). Looking at the diagram I have the modules located between the CEM (central electronics module) and SRS module are the combined instrument panel (DIM), climate control module (CCM) and steering wheel module (SWM). This path and these modules is where I would expect the problem to be. I don’t know if a bad connection to between the UEM and SRS modules will trigger the SRS light.
    There could also be other legitimate reasons this light is on so a trip to the dealer is probably a good idea. You’ll need to go there to get the light reset anyway so they can check things out then.
    Last edited by FirstVolvo; 12-09-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Corrected when modules have power, anytime battery is connected not just key position

UEM has nothing to do with the SRS system. Disconnecting a SRS component without disconnecting the battery will trigger the SRS light.

You need the dealer to turn it off.
    John, '01 V70 T5
    '04 V70 2.5T

Yep - do everything possible. Except alignments + on this car I wouldn't dream of touching the trans.
    "01" XC70, Polar Blue Metallic, Oak Leather, no 3rd seat, wife's ride.
    "99" Dodge Ram 2500 P/U, QC, 4X4, 8' bed, Cummins, Auto, tweaked a wee bit-522rwhp/998rwtq - my toy.

I have no clue what I am doing LOL
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

I'll do anything, but I'm trying to get away from it to save time for more fun stuff. I'm just about done my second Corvair ground-up restoration. My former Saab the most complex work I did was head gasket (about month before Bambi killed that car).

Now that I have a Volvo (for which I have a good local indy) I will be passing more work on to them. Will avoid having the daily driver up on jacks in the garage for weeks at a time!

Do all my own repairs on the wifes 2002 V70XC and my 2003 Land Rover Discovery. Have re built engine and the transmition and do all the major services

I do most of the work but some of them is being done by a indy due to a lack of tools and need for a lift (like alignment or under car works).

2000 Silver V70 XC SE - 153,000 miles and counting...
    Mostly stock - IPD HD TCV - IPD HD coils

Quote Originally Posted by Xilikon View Post
    I do most of the work but some of them is being done by a indy due to a lack of tools and need for a lift (like alignment or under car works).
    Alignment and tires are the only things I use a mechanic for. I'll be down in the snow this weekend doing my oil change

I recently changed out the brake booster and changed out all the brake pads and rotors. Saved about $1400. The brake booster was the biggest job but the dealer wanted $1100. I did it for $100 with a salvaged part.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast