View Poll Results: Do you do your own work on your car?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'll tackle anything

119 63.98%
  • Yes, but only minor repairs.

61 32.80%
  • No

6 3.23%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The one thing that stops me from doing it myself is my inability to find a good workshop manual. Especially with the interior where so many details are plasic and if you do it the wrong way they crack or you leave ugly marks. Sites this this one are good for advise, but a good manual would be awesome.

VADIS or VIDA make pretty good 'manuals', you can get copies of these from ebay. I also have a Haynes manual for the V70 from the UK, while it doesn't cover the AWD system most of it can be applied to the XC70. I heard some people dis it but I find it useful to have in the garage with the car for looking up torque specifications or rechecking certain procedures. In addition it does have work-arounds for some of the Volvo specific tools you don't have and extra-steps that tend to apply in the real-world that the CAD boys didn't expect.

I do - but it DOES help when you have all the right tools.

Absolutely! And it really helps that my dad's been a Volvo tech for something like the past 30 years. Anytime I need to do anything involved, I call him up and pick his brain for a bit first. And if it's something I can't handle on my own, it's REALLY awesome to have a pro on-hand to help out.

I do my own work. I swapped my 850 turbo from an automatic to a 5 speed manual. Ive pulled engines and reinstalled ones, but havent haven't rebuilt a car engine yet.
    Im building a 66 F100 short box on a 96 crown vic chassis at the moment, so needless to say I spend to much time in the garage.
    Lots of small engine experence with ski doo's and bikes though.
    I pulled the oil pan off the xc to replace oil sump o rings, and changed the timing belt, axles, brakes, suspemsion, you name it.

The only time I use mechanics in general is to figure out electrical issues, usually no start conditions. I hate electrical problems.
    2001 V70 XC platinum green / tan 176 miles
    1994 850 T5 black / black 510 kilometres
    1995 Jeep YJ mud / mud 208 kilometres
    2007 Nissan Altima 2.5S silver/black 77 kilometres
    1966 F100 on Crown Vic Chassis, work in progress.

Default I'll tackle anything...sort of

The limiting factor in tackling things with the XC (or any modern car) is lack of a real computer interface like VIDA or VADIS. I can't afford the several thousand to get it set up...and though I have a good scanner, it doesn't allow me the complete interface with the car.

I am forced to go to the dealer for things like putting the transmission in adapt mode, reading the LAN codes.

My local dealer is pretty competitive on price for things like tire mounting and alignment - so I tend to combine service tasks on visits to the dealer.

I'll keep doing everything on my 1932 Packard...I have all the tools and manuals that the dealer did 78 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by Astro14 View Post
    The limiting factor in tackling things with the XC (or any modern car) is lack of a real computer interface like VIDA or VADIS. I can't afford the several thousand to get it set up...and though I have a good scanner, it doesn't allow me the complete interface with the car.
    From a mechanical standpoint, however, there's quite a bit that can be tackled on the car that does not require a computer interface. Which is really the intent of my question.

Thumbs up Ah...

I understand a bit more now...for me, on the XC, I've done oil/fluid/filter changes, brake booster, brakes (rotors and pads), spark plugs, transmission (valve body), engine mounts, exhaust manifold gasket, timing belt, strut mounts, balljoints, bushings, tie-rod ends.

Other cars have included similar, including engine rebuilds, suspension rebuilds and paint.

I'll tackle anything...once...

Cheers,
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

If I have the tools I’ll attempt just about any repair or maintenance job on my 2001 V70 T5. My background is in electronics, which has helped out with this car. Some of the projects have been to improve what I consider problem areas.

I’ve repaired an intermittent and annoying remote lock/unlock problem with the receiver in the Upper Electronics Module (rear view mirror). I used a salvaged UEM and replaced the receiver board, which didn’t disturb the original main electronics board and programming so a trip to the dealer wasn’t necessary.

I’ve also converted the auto-dimming mirror to a manual one because the auto-dimming mirror just never got dark enough (was programmed to full dark too). This involved removing the electronics board off the auto-dimming mirror and replacing the board on salvage manual rear view mirror and then swapping to the manual version case with the dimming flip lever. The manual dimming rear view mirror reduces glare far better so this eliminated something that really bothered me during night driving.

Replaced the lamps in the climate control unit with led types when I found out the cost of the factory lamps.

My latest project is the Magneti Marelli Electronic Throttle Module and adapting an off-the-shelf throttle position sensor to replace the original and difficult to service throttle position sensors

Red face I'm a cave-man

Am I the only one that feels like a cave-man after reading First Volvo's post?

I am OK with simple things that involve wrenches, and own a few big hammers, pry bars, pullers and the like...but resoldering circuit boards? Adapting off the shelf hardware to specific applications?

Wow...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast