View Poll Results: Do you do your own work on your car?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'll tackle anything

119 63.98%
  • Yes, but only minor repairs.

61 32.80%
  • No

6 3.23%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Do you do your own work on your car?

I did a quick search and didn't find a similar thread, although I'm sure there has to be one. I'm just curious what percentage of people do their own work. It seems on this forum, I see a lot more "I had this installed..." etc, which implies that somebody else did the install work. While I'm not a great mechanic or anything, I'll try pretty much anything at least once. I'll be doing some minor work soon (endlinks, tranny mount...thanks billr for the Powerflex bushing suggestion, I'm giving that a shot).

So...simple question, do you work on your own car?

Yeah, I work on my own cars. I will dip lightly into the motor, for timing belts and valve lash and stuff like that, but not into the block for cranks and such. I change my oil, rotate my tires, do clutches, brakes, rear end gears, and change my own wheel bearings (6 so far on this 80K mile XC70). I do it to save money and to make sure it's done right. I work on my other cars, too, here are some links to the ZZ502 motor, Hydratech brake system, and TKO 5speed transmission I put in my Chevelle. Looking back, I actually think I enjoyed it.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/7274/donelarge.jpg

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9647/underside.jpg

There's no way I would ever do work so involved on the Volvo, I better not have to!
    Last edited by gibbons; 07-16-2010 at 05:59 PM.
    '04 XC70, Ice White, Taupe. Original owner (196K miles as of may21). 6 wheel bearings, broken ignition switch, broken turbo downtube flange, failed throttle body, many warped rotors, and a myriad of weird crap. Still my favorite car ever.

That is clean. Nice work.

I've only gone deep into a couple of engines, the straight 6 on my 67 Mustang, and my MGB. Otherwise, I'll go into anything else, except for a transmission. Nor am I allowed to touch carbs anymore. I tend to lean 'em out too much. I even blew the motor in my little RC car by running too lean.

The XC is my first forced induction car, so that's a new ball of wax for me. Working on your own car regularly also gives you the chance to spot any leaks before they get out of control. (darn angle gear)

I do all my own work. I live in the country and if you want to drive foreign cars then you better learn how to work on them too . I have built BMW motors and I am looking forward to building volvo motors! Albeit I have probably spent the same on mistakes early on as I would have on labor but you have to learn somehow.

Thanks for the votes, folks. I'm mildly surprised that the majority works on their own vehicle. Given that I've owned oddball cars, I haven't found (yet) the maintenance costs to be far off from the other vehicles I've had.

Default replace radiator.. yes, replace piston.. no

Hey Huzer,

I think you need another category somewhere between "minor repairs" and "I'll tackle anything."

I'm with Gibbons... I'll do anything pretty much except disassemble the engine for a total rebuild. Mostly, I'm limited by tools and machines more than time, knowledge, or willingness to totally destroy my XC by accident.

Man, if I had a lift, I'd be dangerous!

San Francisco
    2001 Cross Country 143,000mi

I categorize myself that I know enough to be dangerous lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Huzer21 View Post
    I'm mildly surprised that the majority works on their own vehicle.
    It's like any other enthusiast car forum, we all work on our cars because we're interested. I have no desire to send my car to the dealer for them to tell me it needs a $600 PCV service without knowing what that entails or how badly it is clogged. Personally I wouldn't send it there anyway because I am anal enough to know I will do a much better job than any technician will.

I'm an analytical biochemist and I see the way service technicians treat our machines, sure they will function like a slut if you treat 'em like a slut, but they'll love you back if you invest some TLC. I regularly maintain our HPLCs and mass-specs and I can see the difference it makes. Same goes for cars IMHO (even though Dave laughed at me for saying so - no dig intended buddy )

Quote Originally Posted by sjonnie View Post
    It's like any other enthusiast car forum, we all work on our cars because we're interested.
    The main reason I asked is that quite a few posts mention dealer visits/indys/etc. Other cars I've had , most of the forums tended to be more enthusiast/backyard mechanic driven and very few mentions of bringing a car to a repair facility.

I had thought of the "I have the ability, but not the space/tools" option for the poll, but then forgot to add it.

I do as much as I can, but realistically, I have to factor in the following:

- How long the project will take ME based on MY experience,
    - Do I have the right tools?,
    - How hot is it in the garage? (it's 94F in there right now), and
    - The consequences/cost of doing a repair wrong.

The first one is important because I'm a freelancer, so for every hour I don't work, I had better be saving at least my hourly rate during that time.
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast