Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

I booked an appointment a few days ago and specifically requested to speak with a technician when I dropped off the car.

I dropped the car off this morning. When the "Service Advisor" (SA) at the reception desk read "would like to speak with a technician" on my booking, he dutifully asked permission from his boss (sheesh.) and then retrieved a tech (I think it was the one who worked on the car last time I had it in) for me to speak with. I get the feeling that if I had not "made an appointment" to speak with a tech. I would not have been allowed to do so.

I brought prints of the photos posted above and I explained, in detail, the problem; first to the SA, then to the tech. The SA seemed pretty gung ho. He listened and took notes and then attached them to a copy of the work order from my last service. The tech, to be honest, seemed a little dopey, perhaps somewhat dazed by the bright lights and climate controlled comfort of the reception area. He really seemed to have no idea. In fact, when the SA said, "He (me) thinks the evaporator might be freezing up." the tech. responded "I have no idea."

They promised to put the car on the highway for 20-25 minutes (how long it takes for the problem to appear) to see if they could reproduce it.

They just called and they now believe it is the evap. temp. sensor! They're going to order the part right now and all I can do I pray it will arrive (and be installed) on Friday so I can begin my 1200 mile family vacation road trip to Toronto on Saturday.

I know it is too soon to celebrate, but I can hope, right?
    Last edited by cheapo; 08-11-2010 at 05:00 PM.

double post
    Last edited by cheapo; 08-11-2010 at 05:00 PM.

I am at Volvo of Halifax. They're not sure where the sensor goes. They think it's on the passenger side, whereas stevepaa (see above) says it's on the drivers side.

They put it in and it reads 20° cooler than the old sensor. Yayyy.
    Hope that solves it!

Glad you got it sorted Cheapo.

That dealership sounds seriously incompetent...
    2001 Cross Country SE
    140,000 kms

"Write a clever saying and your name will live forever"

Anon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cune View Post
    It turns out that my climate control panel was on the fritz. My Volvo guy was gonna charge me $300 for one. However, when I balked at that, he simply hit it with his hands and it works fine. (Like the Fonz) That was FREE. Now my passenger and driver side are ice cold! I will eventually have to replace it, but for now its chilly chill!
    Where exactly is the spot to hit? I have the same problem - no cold air on passenger side.

I was thinking about how the Volvo dealer computer didn't read any errors from my old faulty evaporator temperature sensor. The technician at Volvo dealership said their computer detected nothing wrong with the old sensor, but after he made the swap, he said the new sensor was reading 20° cooler than the old one.

I think this means that a malfunctioning evaporator temp. sensor doesn't throw an error code. However, if it were possible to check the temp. at the evaporator by some other means and then compare that reading with the value being returned by the sensor one could diagnose a faulty sensor.

But where, exactly, to take the temp?

Quote Originally Posted by stevepaa View Post
    well, after I did everything else, it still had not changed. Just changing out this sensor fixed it.

The is a 5 minute job.
    Just remove the side panel below the console. Turn the slot 1/4 turn with coin, pull out and slide backwards.
    Remove two screws from panel under steering wheel. Pull down to release and then pull out.

Look up in there and you will see a green connector to a white receptacle. Disconnect green plug. Pull receptacle, which is the sensor, out.

Replace.
    I have replaced my sensor today.. it is even less than a 5 minute job Thanks to the author... above...
    The AC works fine now no more icing.. and the compressor cuts out as it stayed engaged whole the time with the faulty sensor!

Added some pictures.. V70 build 2001 auto tranny...

Regards... happy Volvo driving... Frans..

Smile

Great pictures. Thanks for those. I am sur they'll be a real help to those dealing with this somewhat mysterious problem.
    2003 XC70 with 345,000 km (214,370 mi)

Quote Originally Posted by cheapo View Post
    Great pictures. Thanks for those. I am sur they'll be a real help to those dealing with this somewhat mysterious problem.
    Cheapo,
    The problem is not so mysterious, the dealership had the sensor on stock as regular exchange part.
    They told me that this problem occurs quit often.
    They would have charged me 140 Euro ($160) for the 5 minute replacement job… I’m glad that I did the job my self…
    It took me a while to find your excellent posing about the sensor replacement… I truly hope my pictures contribute for those facing the same phenomenon.

If your airflow stops after few minutes with the AC on… and the flow returns when you cut the AC manually after few minutes…no doubt your evaporator I clogged with ice . For 95% you have a faulty evap sensor!
    I had my AC system checked because I thought a low r134a fill causing the evap icing… The check turned out that I only lost 40% refrigerant over 10 years… not bad at all… she is now back to 100% fill and I’m a happy camper… specially now because our holiday comes up… heading to the south of France temperatures going up to 43 Celcius..

Regards,

Frans

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456