Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy How long can I drive my car with a bad driveshaft? (2000 V70 XC SE)

I just spent over a thousand dollars less than a month ago on repairs and now my drive shaft is apparently bad. I'm not going to be able to afford to fix it for a couple weeks, but was wondering if I will do more damage/cause more problems by driving it? In the past week the vibration seems to have gotten a little worse so I'm worried.

Is there ever an end to the problems with these cars???? I've dumped so much money into it that I keep hoping at some point it will just be problem free for a little while... I'm losing hope.

Anyone have problems with the window switches? My rear driver's side window stopped working a while ago, I took the switch apart and cleaned it and it worked again for several months. It stopped working again and cleaning it didn't fix it so I bought a new used switch and now neither back window works. Does this sound like a switch problem or something else? Any suggestions?

Thanks-
    Robin

I would remove it NOW and drive in FWD until you buy a new driveshaft.
    Hurts nothing and you will be happy with the smoothness of the XC.

You need to buy a new (or used) LF master switch, that is the root of the problem
    (They all fail at some point)

and no, there's never an end........

My advice: Don't bother fixing the AWD on first gen cars unless you have $4000 you want to burn. I replaced my drive shaft after it broke and then was thanked by having the bevel gear take a dump. I just removed the shaft and have it in FWD now. Better mileage too!

If you are determined though, I have a drive shaft for a 2000 XC, low miles.
    2000 V70XC 2.4L Turbo - Emerald Green -245,000 miles

AG is ok so far on mine . . . just had the seals done (while the trans was being replaced ! !) and they inspected it - looked ok.
    BUT - I have replaced the prop shaft twice now. I love 4WD, especially when the snow starts. One of the big plusses with these cars. However, I'm asked once in a while if it's still 4wd, as though most people don't bother keeping it up. Quite frankly, I'm frustrated at buying (un-)rebuilt shafts. Might do this one more time though . . .
    2WD is always an option. My gut feeling is remove it if it's vibrating a lot. It will affect other drivetrain parts even if not measurable right now.

BTW - 25 minute job - by my recollection, 15mm wrench and 6mm hex with extension - you must use a flex for this or roll the car to get access to all the bolts. (15? yup I think so . . .)
    Last edited by knucklebuster; 05-30-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: add info
    As fun to fix as they are to drive.

Colorado Driveshaft
    About $450 (or less) for a good rebuilt propshaft

Thanks everyone! I wish I could remove it myself, but not that mechanically inclined nor do I have the tools. I'm going to look into Colorado driveshaft, thanks JRL.

I have a 99v70xc (180K km) with a Prop driveshaft with 100K km.

We're going on a roadtrip this summer and I'm thinking of removing the driveshaft since it is summertime and also so that it doesn't crap out on me while on the road. Does anything need to be inserted in place (such as towards the angle gear) so that dust and grime doesn't get into the housings of the angle gear since the prop driveshaft is absent?

Cal
    Last edited by almostarctic; 06-07-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: grammar

1999 V70XC Silver - IPD Sway Bars, IPD TCV, SNABB intake, Amsoil Dry EA nano-fibre panel filter
    2008 C30 T5 Cosmic White Manual - Fun fun fun
    1983 - Volvo DL wagon - RIP - Volvo saved my life.

Use snow tires.
    AWD + all season tires + snow = stuck in deepr $#&@

They don't "just go" but if you want to, (remove it) nothing is replaced.
    The angle gear stays as does the viscous coupling.
    What you should do is (after you mark them) replace the bolts, that's the best way to keep anything crudy out, but you really don't have to do that either

I am also going to take a 4500 mile trip here in a few weeks, am considering taking the driveshaft out to be on the safe side. I am at 124K and get a singing noise from the center of the car at 60-65 mph, goes away at 70+. Pretty sure that is the center support bearing.

Could also be the bevel gear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast