Smile Bevel Gear Thanks!

Just Wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate this site. I have a 2003 XC70 with 76K miles and was reading about bevel gear issues.( new to the site) This past weekend decided to check/change the fluid. I was only able to remove approx. 20 oz. of gear oil from the bevel gear housing. No metal shavings thank goodness. Used a magnetic pick up toll to explore the inside of the case. Bevel gear case was dry on the outside no leaks visible. I can only assume the leak/seepage was above the fluid level. I replaced with new fluid and took the car an a 600 mile trip this weekend. All was fine. I want to thank the members for bringing this to my attention. i am sure this information saved me a great deal of time and expense. I will monitor the fluid level now at every oil change.

I have the same year and model Volvo. What are the specs of the fluid you used? Thanks

Default me too

Im waiting for the big brown truck to show up with my volvo gear oil and my trans. flush supplies.My case is wet with gear oil.Not much on the belly pan though.I will change it and check the level at frequent intervals to see if I need to take further action.

Wink Bevel Gear Thanks

Bevel Gear was GL-5 75w-90 gear oil. Used Synthetic (Mobil) Tranny was Mobil 3309, although Toyota type IV will also work