Default Ignition lock cylinder replacement

Hi guys,

I did some searching and didn't find any decent discussion on this topic.

I've come to the point where my ignition lock cylinder is broken. Per the dealership the part is 285 and labor (~2.5 hrs) is 250.

I have several questions.

-Does anyone have a line on how to get the part cheaper? It has to be coded so I'm guessing it can't be done much cheaper.

-I'm considering trying to install it myself after I get the part but I can't find any write up on this topic online. Has anyone done it? Level of difficulty/special tools required?

Thanks for any insight.

-Evan

Sorry to hear! I went through this myself late last year, and my cost was around $800, installed. It took almost a week for the dealer to order and receive the part.

I don't believe it is possible to get this part from any other place other than Volvo. As you mentioned, it is coded to your key, and as such has to be made to order based on your VIN.

In my research, I didn't find any reference to anyone doing the replacement themselves, but I don't see why you couldn't. From what I've read, the hardest part is getting the old column lock out. It is attached by tamper proof bolts, but can be ground down easily with a Dremel. Not sure if new bolts come with the new column lock, so that might be a good thing to check.

The link below might help give some background as well:

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...hp?f=1&t=22911

Good luck!
    2004 XC90 T5 ~130K miles, 2010 XC60 T6 ~28K miles

Thanks for the insight. I had found that link in a google search (and have used the site for other things). I was a bit concerned though since the topic seemed to be about a 98 V70. I didn't know how similar the systems would be.

Ultimately I'll likely end up just paying someone to do it. My time is scarce these days and I'd rather not botch it. It sure sounds like a pretty common problem though and I feel like I should try to tackle it if for no other reason than to do a write up.

Quote Originally Posted by mntbikr15 View Post
    Thanks for the insight. I had found that link in a google search (and have used the site for other things). I was a bit concerned though since the topic seemed to be about a 98 V70. I didn't know how similar the systems would be.

Ultimately I'll likely end up just paying someone to do it. My time is scarce these days and I'd rather not botch it. It sure sounds like a pretty common problem though and I feel like I should try to tackle it if for no other reason than to do a write up.
    My understanding is that the column lock itself is the same or very similar. At least it looked just like the column lock on my 2004 XC90.

It definitely sounds like a common issue. In fact, in the thread below, they talk about a bulletin that's supposed to be out there for this issue. It might be worth checking with the dealer to see if your year/model apply. Mine didn't.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...t=19403&page=2

When I was at the dealer for this issue, there was another person there that was having the same problem with his 2008 XC90. :-)
    2004 XC90 T5 ~130K miles, 2010 XC60 T6 ~28K miles

I ended up taking the plastic cover off and tapping the cylinder with a hammer (saw this recommended somewhere). It magically worked again. On the chance it's just binding up I'm going to get some graphite in there and see if it keeps working. If it leaves me stranded somewhere that still beats paying 500+ to get it fixed if it doesn't need to be.

Bought a 2000 V70XC and P.O. supplied a new Volvo ignition lock cylinder assembly to replace the failing one in the car. Problem was; wrong key. Found locksmith in California who re-coded lock to my spare key for $90 incl. shipping. Installed and when interlock cable installed, key won't come out. Remove cable, key slides out easily. Not sure if problem is locksmith error or mine, so can't recommend him yet. Local Volvo shop quoted $445 parts plus 1 1/2hr labor at $125 hr for lock cylinder replacement and would not order part unless they installed it!