Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I guess you can say it does run rough, but only at idle. you can see the headlights go dim when it misses or has the hickup. I'll try the vac lines next.

Anyone heard of a sticky valve? One shop thought it might be that. They told me to check the oil and drive it like I stole it, then check the oil again after. Ever heard of that?

Quote Originally Posted by tlbv70 View Post
    I guess you can say it does run rough, but only at idle. you can see the headlights go dim when it misses or has the hickup. I'll try the vac lines next.

Anyone heard of a sticky valve? One shop thought it might be that. They told me to check the oil and drive it like I stole it, then check the oil again after. Ever heard of that?
    Sticky Valve? In a Volvo? Maybe if you didn't change the oil in 50'000 miles. That's really bad advice.

Sounds like its rough idle and you've replaced the usual suspects. How about when you drive at a steady speed or accelerate - any hesitation or mis-fires?

I think they're talking about carbon buildup in general.
    "Sticky valves" may just be their way of saying it, or not. I've never heard
    of sticky valves but who knows.

"Blowing out the carbon", AKA "Italian tune-up" (rev to 7k RPM for 3 mins),
    AKA "Seafoam procedure", etc, etc. They all have an effect on getting rid of
    carbon. Modern engines liked to be "revved up" every once in a while to help
    keep things running smooth. I know this firsthand after owning late model Audi
    and VW. I like running a bottle of Techron once in a while and then flogging it
    on the highway for 15 to 30 mins.

Anyway, I don't know if that's your problem here. You could try it, but I think
    you have something else going on.

You need to start at the basics, such as when was the last time the car had a
    good tune-up? I know you said you replaced the plugs, but what about:
    Air filter?
    Fuel filter?
    Clean the ETM?
    Last edited by RockitShip; 12-23-2009 at 02:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkster View Post
    Sticky Valve? In a Volvo? Maybe if you didn't change the oil in 50'000 miles. That's really bad advice.

Sounds like its rough idle and you've replaced the usual suspects. How about when you drive at a steady speed or accelerate - any hesitation or mis-fires?
    Can't recall where I read it, perhaps here somewhere, but there was a suggestion to run the engine at 4500rpm for a period of 5 minutes. I would do this periodically with my 850R and it seemed to clean things up some. I've done it once with my XC and it also helped some. Might just be a perception thing but....? Anyway, doesn't hurt anything and it allows the motor to see some high revs occasionally.

Anyway, go into Geartronic mode and shift down until you see 4500 rpm and then cruise frantically away for 5 minutes.

Cheers,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Quote Originally Posted by billr99 View Post
    there was a suggestion to run the engine at 4500rpm for a period of 5 minutes.
    Bingo. "blowing out the carbon".

I had this issue with my '02 XC70. After a full tune-up and no improvement, I installed one treatment of CerMert Lab ceramic engine treatment. This cured the problem.

I asked around on BITOG, and somebody pulled up a service bulletin from Volvo explaining that sometimes the valve faces become deteriorated, or something like that, which causes bad idling. Volvo recommended replacing the entire head, I think.

The CerMet cured this idle issue for me.

www.cermetlab.com

Default rough idle

what are the miles on your car?

i ask because at ~165K miles i too had been having what i thought was a mis-fire with no codes. i put in:

1. new vovlo plugs,
    2. new bosch coils (all 5...found on line for $40 each...all mine had cracks opposite the plug),
    3. new turbo pressure valve,
    4. new map sensor, and
    5. cleaned my maf sensor.

for me what seems to have stopped the mis-fire or maybe rough idle was:

6. cleaned my throttle body (bosch style) using volvo cleaner H and
    7. cleaned out and replaced my pcv system. bought the kit from fcp groton for $112. checked vacuum lines while i was at it.

when i had my intake off i could see that my valves where nice and clean. guess the premium gas, regular oil changes w/synthetic every 5K miles, and regular use of techron fuel concentrate at oil changes has done something.

good luck!

2002 V70XC with 167K miles (bought used from volvo dealer at 42K miles)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12