Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Unfortunately you have a junk transmission right now BUT I wonder how many fellow XC'ers you might have saved from meeting the same fate. There is a bright side to the story, no matter how dim it is.
    current: 2001 XC70 207,000mi, original tranny

past: 1987 740GLE tranny...bleh
    past: 1979 240DL head-on collision

Its not just fellow XC'ers that this story applies to.

This same transmission (manufatured by Aisin Tranmissions) is used in a lot of cars that aren't Volvo.

You'll find this tranny in Nissan Maxima and Quest high line SE models under the Nissan designation of RE5F22A.

Saab started utilizing it in 2002 with its 9'5 model and added it as an option in 2003 to its 9'3 models.

Saturn used this unit in 2002-up Vue with the V6 engines and the 2003-up Ion sedan under the AF23/ 33-5 designation with the AF23-5 used behind 4 cylinder applications and the AF33-5 used behind the V6 engines.

Volvo used this unit in 2002-up 40 series, 2001-up 60/70series, 2004-up 80 series, and 2003-up 90 series.

The trannys in any of these applications would have the same fate as mine if someone were to remove that band anchor bolt.

This is very informative Snow. I'll have to ensure this will get added to our FAQ and gets 'stuck' with a topic like 'THAT's NOT THE FILL HOLE' or 'that's not the fill hole you're looking for. move along now' - for the techies.

I keep telling myself, "just be cool", "play dumb", "don't give any indication of what ya know".
    Go at them with facts so they know YOU know what you are talking about, and show them documentation to back yourself up. Don't roll over and play dead....you got to go for the jugular, man!!! Strike fast and hard. This whole situation blows, especially just before the holidays. I wonder if one were to take out the B4 servo, and the bolt, if the anchor end of the band could be pushed back into place via the B4 servo hole and then get the bolt threaded back into place? Then reinstall the B4 servo. That would be MY first go at it; a lot less work and expense.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

When I had my trans fixed for this summer the shop said they see many trans in because a quick lube shop "filled" through that hole. I can see why; it is right out in the open and easy get to. I'd suggest encapsulating it with JB weld or something similar to prevent "accidental" removal by under educated mechanics.

Jeremy
    2001 V70XC, 2K V70, '87 740 TI Wagon 325K+! (what are the chances of the XC making it to 325K?)

Forkster - Adding this to FAQ section or making it a sticky is a great idea, thanks!

Jeremy - Thats a good idea about the anti-tamper treatment. I have read in the some of the documents I have linked to in this thread that when Volvo reman's these transmissions they remove the 27mm hex bolt and replace it with a tamper-proof 5-sided bolt (I wish they just could have done this from the get-go).

Anyway, I just got my car back from the rebuild, $3,168 later. I went straight from the the rebuild shop to go see the owner and tech at the other shop that created this whole mess.

Unfortunately the owner and that particular tech were out for the day but will be back on Monday. So I will have to revisit this then. I didn't want to call ahead and and raise any suspicion. My goal is to catch both of them at the shop unannounced.

I am happy that the Volvo now runs our how its supposed to, but now the alignment is off! No doubt because basically the entire front end of the car has to be torn down to get tranny out and back in.

Now we are going back to the rebuild shop tomorrow and demanding an alignment!

The Nightmare Continues!!!

Interesting thread - and not at all what I expected it would be about when I started reading it - keep us inormed how you get on and good luck!

And making it 'sticky' is a great idea.........

Talking

Well, lets see, where did we leave off?

Last week Saturday we had to take our car back to the tranny rebuild shop becuase the alignment was completely out of wack. They promptly sent us over to Firestone Service center for an alignment at their cost. The car was completely back to normal after that.

This afternoon I ventured back to the original shop that created this whole mess. I walked in and noticed that the shop owner was at the front end and the tech that had serviced my XC was busy at that back of the shop.

I thought, great, they are both here, I can figure this out once and for all.

I asked the shop owner to see another bottle of the Toyota Type T-IV ATF that i was billed for and while I pretended to read the back of the bottle the shop owner was saying things like, "oh yeah I researched this on the internet, and the Volvos, they just have this problem with 3rd gear, it goes out on a lot of their cars".

I couldn't believe what i was hearing. But I stayed cool, like Justthefacts had said I should do.

I said, "look, I am just trying to put together this puzzle here. I know where my oil comes out, and where the tranny drain plug is. I know where the oil goes in, but I have no idea where the ATF goes in. Could you show me where you guys even added the 4 qts of ATF?"

The shop owner said that he'd show me. We walked out and as we neared the car he said "we add the ATF like we do on any car here, through the dipstick hole".

I was a little freaked out by this so I asked him to show me where that was. He actually knew and shoved all the hoses out of the way and held a flashlight on the ATF dipstick tube. I thought that we were done for. My goal of them admitting their foul up seemed impossible at this point.

I said, "it would really make me feel better about this whole thing if the tech who did the work could come out point out to me where he added the fluid".

The shop owner hollered back to the shop and the tech came over. As he walked up to the car, the shop owner says "can you show Andy here, where you added the ATF to his car, you added it through the dipstick tube right?"

I about did a cart wheel when the tech said:

"No, there is a big fill plug on the top of the tranny right here." While pointing to the 27mm band anchor bolt, he said "see, this one right here".

At that point I dropped some serious knowledge on these guys. I provided color prints of the 4 publications I linked to in this post, and then handed him a copy of a reciept maked paid for $3,168 from the tranny rebuild.

The tech looked a little dumbfounded and the shop owner told him "we may have messed up this guys car" and asked him to head back into the shop.

I left the ball in the shop owners court for the time being. He said that he had to do some of his own research on this, but it sounded like he is intent on fixing this expensive mistake. He said he wanted to call the Volvo dealer and my tranny shop and ask about that bolt. I thought to myself, "Go ahead, ask anyone!!!"

I told him, that I cannot be responsible for this tranny rebuild, and that if he is not prepared to reimburse us, i have the SC-500 summons and complaint form to elevate this entire debacle to WI Small Claims court.

I hope for the best.

Stay tuned!
    Last edited by Snowmobileaddict; 12-14-2009 at 06:05 PM.

I just took a call from the shop owner that was responsible for this whole mess. He indicated to me that after he made a couple of calls to his friend who operates a transmission shop as well as the local Volvo dealership, he accepts responsibility for the mistake.

He added that right before he called me, he provided my receipt for the transmission rebuild to his independent insurance company (West Bend Mutual Insurance) for a claim to pay me back $3,168.

He added that he has been in business for 31 years at his location and that if he created a mistake he is not about to dodge the responsibility. I thanked him for that and everything was civil.

Before we got off the phone he did say that his computer system software that they have at their shop provided a photo of that band anchor bolt and that it is called out as an ATF FILL PORT!!!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!

The shop owner also did take an opportunity to disparage the durability and build quality of the AW50-55 transmission. His friend again at the transmission shop told him, “Those are weak transmissions, they provide great work for transmission rebuilders”.

It stands to wonder how many of these transmission rebuilds are unecessarily triggered by misinformed technicians following their shop computer software or just plain ignorance.

It looks like everything will be fine, all I need now is the Insurance Co. to follow through on their end.

Wow, great to hear you got a "happy ending" finally. I was on the corner of my seat reading through your updates.

It's his mistake, but sharing your story here will hopefully do a service to XC drivers in the future. I agree that there is a very good possibility this has accidentally caused some premature failures.
    2001 XC70, original trans