Default Tailgate Barrier / Dog Guard / Gate

Does anyone have an aftermarket dog barrier or gate fitted across the tailgate of their cars?

I am getting one made by a local engineer here but when we looked at the car we wondered about the best way to affix the barrier in place. Because it will prevent access to the underfloor storage area and the spare wheel I want it to be "quick release" with probably 2 wing nuts to loosen/tighten at top and two at bottom to fix or remove the guard.

The type of design we are looking at is similar to the attached pic.

If you have such a pet guard (like the "puppybars" product in Australia or the "barjo" guards in UK) then please post a pic so I can see how they look and are fixed in place.

Well, I went and got a guard made from the local engineers - quite happy with it although 'Mark II' would have a couple of very minor changes (such as a spring loaded catch and a 'stop' to catch the door when closing it) - both modifications are coming.....

Takes 30 seconds to install and remove which is excellent.

Excuse the state of the car - just back from a 500km road trip and it needs a clean!

Last edited by Ottiehund; 12-11-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Spelling

That is a nice looking gate.

FWI:

Depending on your dog, you may have an issue with the factory cargo net. Our dog would squeeze right through (between the net and the glass) when motivated (thunder storms, etc) We went with the factory metal barrier. She went though the gaps that are required to allow the gate to swing up to the headliner a couple times too. If I had it to do over, I would get a high quality aftermarket barrier that goes closer to the glass. Or have your engineer custom make one.
    Current: 2010 XC70 T6 Caspian Blue/Grey

Previous: 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue/Grey 218K Volvo High Mileage Club,

Thanks Slowflyer - We will see how we go with the factory cargo net. My dog is a German Shepherd so he wont get through the gap and he was contained without problems in the Subaru I just sold by the factory net in that which was almost exactly the same design as the Volvo net, so I am pretty confident it will be OK.