Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Joadja, Wombeyan Caves, Big Hill - 2nd NSW/ACT Drive Day

Our group from Sydney and Canberra had a fantastic drive today. The weather in Sydney was wet and miserable all day, yet we had clear skies and enjoyed a warm sunny BBQ lunch at the famous Wombeyan Caves.

The drive included three XC70s from Sydney and one from Canberra. Special mention must go to the '09 which saw it's maiden dirt roads and tackled them with style!

We met in Mittagong (1.5 hours from Sydney, 2 hours from Canberra), drove to Joadja (there was nothing there but the journey was great), then turned around and headed to the Wombeyan Caves where we had lunch. The decent down to Wombeyan would have been tough for most vehicles. Steep, rugged, dangerous cliffs with lots of guard rail missing, tight turns, and mostly unsealed. The drive out of Wombeyan was a little easier and saw smoother and brisker driving, albeit still unsealed conditions.

At the turn off to Big Hill we were greeted by a sign suggesting that "EXTREME CAUTION" had to be taken and how dangerous the road would be. It was narrow and the terrain provided us with sensational views of the valley and the road beyond.

At Muralun we saw another XC70, rego number "VXC25T". My waive to him was returned, just as our group all turned in front of him.

We stopped for a cold bevvie at the pub in Berrima before parting ways, having made new friends, shared some stories, and inspired ourselves for another drive in a few months time.

Photos will be posted in this thread by the participating members during the next few days.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

2001 Volvo XC70 (PJ-810)
    2007 Volvo XC70
    2001 BMW 530i Touring MSport

Past:
    1987 240GL
    1982 244GLE
    1978 245L (Manual)
    and: 1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 1995 Peugeot 605SV

First major stop during the trip.

We don't want to fall down there!

Our BBQ/picnic spot at Wombeyan Caves.

MATTERS shutting the gate for us. These gates we came across regularly are to keep live stock on the correct side of the various fences. It is the driver's responsibility to open and close the gates.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

2001 Volvo XC70 (PJ-810)
    2007 Volvo XC70
    2001 BMW 530i Touring MSport

Past:
    1987 240GL
    1982 244GLE
    1978 245L (Manual)
    and: 1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 1995 Peugeot 605SV

Default Another Drive Day

Hi Patrick & Fellow XCs,
    Sorry I'd missed you today as had previously arranged drive day over Heathcote/Bulli Pass this morning. Was hoping to catch up with you guys later but you would have hit the dirt roads by then. Anyway will catch you at the next one and hopefully not clashed with another drive day elsewhere. Attached are pics of our day out as well and although wet, the hairpin turns were manageable with these things
    Cheers

Thanks for getting some pictures up so quickly, Patrick!

We were fortunate enough to have Matters' brother along for the ride, as de facto official photographer, so there will be many more photos, I'm sure. As for my photos: well, you'll have to wait for the film to be developed...

Another fun point of the day for me was hearing drivers of other vehicles (Toyotas and utes and stuff) speaking over their CBs, exercising their stereotyped views of Volvo drivers - and then have the Volvo drivers answer back on air!

Patrick, thanks so much for arranging the itinerary. My brother and I had a wonderful day. It was a great escape from the trials of everyday life!

As Andrew noted, our Volvo motorcade caught not only looks of bemusement but also some antipathy. In particular, some large SUV drivers disparaging our more light footed rides over the CB radio. It was with great satisfaction that I heard Patrick inform them "that the Volvo drivers can hear you". Sadly for them we coincidentally were sharing the same CB channel. Some of them didn't realise at first, in particular the lady who mused "are the Volvo drivers wearing hats?". Only to be reminded by her friend "they can hear us, the Volvos can hear us". The silence thereafter was golden, but I could not help but squawk "cat got your tongue now, eh?". A few other choice remarks were thrown in before the tyranny of distance tore the signals apart.

More importantly, we had a great time fanging around the winding lip of dirt that led down to the Caves. Full credit must go to Patrick who was clearly determined to honour the memory of Colin McCrae with a mixture of speed and deft control. Andrew, must also receive mention for his drifting in the dirt. Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift: eat your heart out!

This event, as Patrick noted above, also heralded the first offroad outing for my MY09 XC70. Whilst covered in dust, it emerged triumphant and rattle free from the grazed and jagged track. Now having had a taste, my XC is keen to go again and so am I!

The upshot of it all was not only beautiful scenery, but also great company. I will post some of my brother's pics. I will also post my pics in due course as well.

Bring on next time!
    2009 Volvo XC70 3.2 []
    2005 BMW 530i
    1997 Lexus SC400/Soarer GT-L

Ready set go:

Three wheeling:

Designated parking:

Lunch:

Not Lunch:

Cave:

Caution:

2009 Volvo XC70 3.2 []
    2005 BMW 530i

Default Map Route Of the Trip

Meeting Points:
    Start of the Day - Mittagong

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?ie...56747&t=h&z=11

End of the Day - Berrima

Dangling:

Convoy:

MyZomela:

Eat PJ's dust:

A long and winding road:

Baby not on board:

Eat my dust:

So much for the forest:

The Aussie Dirt Track:

2009 Volvo XC70 3.2 []
    2005 BMW 530i

The descent:

MyZomela's bumper and the our track [can you see it winding in the distance?]

River crossing without the river:

Found some mud though:

So did MyZomela:

The Cattle fence that PJ810 was posting about:

Shut the gate:

Emerging from the valley:

Blue sky dreaming:

Rolling hills:

2009 Volvo XC70 3.2 []
    2005 BMW 530i

Fields of gold: