Question Several electrical problems, related?

We are ready to sell our 2001 V70 XC but we need to fix some of the problems that have come up recently. They didn't happen all at once, but they did seem to happen over the course of a few months:

• Radiator fan stays on whether car is on or off, until battery dies.
    • The brake lights and one of the tail lights is sometimes working, sometimes not. Both bulbs were just replaced
    • The driver's side door panel mostly doesn’t work, except to roll down the driver's side window and adjust the driver's side mirror. All the buttons that control other doors’ windows don’t work. Sometimes the lock/unlock on that panel works, sometimes not.
    • The other doors’ windows do work to roll each window down. The main lock/unlock works on the passenger front door and can be used when the driver lock/unlock doesn’t work (which is usually)
    • The overhead light and moonroof control sometimes works and has (more recently been) sometimes totally dead. It goes off for a few days and then it _seems_ to work again after the car’s been sitting in the heat??? But I could be totally guessing.

I have unplugged the fan (see picture) which stops it from running, but this is cumbersome and make it difficult to sell. Attachment 5260

From the searching I've done it seems that the fan relay is a part of the entire fan assembly on this model, so perhaps getting a fan assembly from a junkyard and swapping it in will resolve that problem, but I'm not sure how difficult a job that is. I'm relatively handy but no expert. Thanks for your suggestions.

-tslugmo

All unrelated
    All emails please use: jrl1194 (at) aol.com

2007 V70 2.5T White/Oak, 112K miles. My daily driver and GORGEOUS
    2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now at 148K miles !! and still (almost) perfect.
    2000 S70 GLT SE with 29,000 miles!!! A time capsule, V70R front bumper, Volans, etc. SOLD!!! (I Will regret selling this!)

Quote Originally Posted by tslugmo View Post
    getting a fan assembly from a junkyard and swapping it in will resolve that problem, but I'm not sure how difficult a job that is.
    About as easy as they come, 2 bolts, 2 wiring clips & a cable tie or two and it lifts right out.

Ok, thanks. So does this mean you think replacing the fan assembly will fix the problem? What about the windows, do I just need to get a new driver's door control panel?

If the relay is integral to the fan assembly, a new fan may fix it. Not sure if the relay gets hot power constantly. It should get it's power feed directly from the coolant temp sensor. Not sure.