Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Newly built HD TCV is installed, now I am going to do a test drive! Will report back after the break in!

Cool. What did you do for a mount?
    Current: 2010 XC70 T6 Caspian Blue/Grey

Previous: 2001 V70XC Nautic Blue/Grey 218K Volvo High Mileage Club,

Talking Works Great!

The new DIY Turbo Control Valve works great! I did the break in period via how iPd describes for their TCV and it definitely improves drivability. The new solenoid is simply more responsive than the old one; giving me turbo when I need it, not turbo when the old tcv decided to give it to me.

Here is a quick run down on what exactly is needed to accomplish this project.

1) The Turbo Control Solenoid found here!
    2) 1/4" barb 1/8" NPT fitting found here!
    3) Bosch EV1 Connector found here!

Other information

From what I saw on the electrical connectors, there is no positive or negative wire, so I just went ahead and put the connector on without worrying.

I am going to fabricate a mount soon, but I currently have some zip ties holding the TCV on the air box.

For hose connection instructions and break in instructions follow the instructions provided here! The hoses all go in the same place as the iPd unit.

There is no need to put teflon tape on the NPT fittings as the clearance is simply not there; and the fittings tighten down very tight and secure.

I used a piece of vacuum tube cut down the center to cover the electrical wire and boot versus an actual rubber boot at the connector; I may change that in the future.

For about $50 dollars you have your own HD turbo control valve that will improve turbo response and increase the fun factor! Here is a zip tie happy photo (when time allows I will make this more presentable...aka less zip ties)! Enjoy!

Javaxc70:

So after a week or so of use, how is your home-built TCV working out?

Thanks,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Yeah, I'm curious about that too. Fill us in!!

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

After 1 week the DIY TCV is working perfectly! I really like the faster response of the unit, as it gives you turbo when you need it. I have been driving it daily for the past week (usually wife's car) and have been impressed with the response time. Another nice added bonus is the ability to take apart and clean. So Far So Good!

Nice work, dude.

I bought one from iPD, and it really didn't make much difference. So I changed out two of the three vacuum lines with brand new silicon tubing. The one tube going to the bottom of the turbo I didn't change because I just couldn't get my hands up in there.

But changing just two of the three hoses brought the car to life. I wonder how much better it'll run when I pay the shop to swap out that last hose for me?

Old vacuum lines degrade from the constant heat, and will collapse under the negative pressure reducing the negative signal, especially on the Volvos with the plastic belly pan trapping all that heat in there for hours after shutdown. I took my belly pan off.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    it really didn't make much difference.
    Ditto, built this thing and made little to no difference on my V70XC and V70T5. I'll be trying tubing next
    Past Volvos : 01 V70 T5, 01/02 V70XC, 02 V70 NA, 00 V70XC
    Current EV/Hybrid : 13 Tesla S85, 11 Gen3 Prius
    Friends cars under my care 17 Audi A4 Quattro DSG (B9) 05 Audi A4 Manual 6sp Quattro (B7) 04 e320 V6 Auto, 05 Accord 2.4, 08 Element 2.4, 08 Camry Hybrid
    Past Others : 01/03 VW MK4 Turbo/NA/01M. Gen1 Prius, Gen1 CRV, Gen2 Rav4, 02 Town&Country, 06 Corolla, 12 Audi A4 Quattro (B8), 07 Civic 1.6
    https://sites.google.com/view/howardsvolvos

I would definitely recommend replacing the vacuum hose. I replaced all my vacuum hoses well before the TCV and noticed a difference in everyday driving. I also replaced my CBV shortly before this upgrade which may have helped out. My XC has some higher mileage, so these upgrades together might have just brought me back to a nice stage 0!

I'm thinking of going the DIY route for my TCV...but I'm looking for suggestions + pros/cons for the vacuum lines. I'm considering silicone, but what's a minimum wall thickness I should go for when I buy the lines? IPD says they're silicone tubing is great, but they don't even list the inside diameter of it...not that I could see anyway.

I see 2.5mm inside diameter on boostcontroller.com and I think that's a decent wall thickness, but I was looking for some input from people who've actually done this. Or should I just forget the silicone and stick with rubber?
    I'm applying my hard-earned (more like bought) knowledge to a 2004 XC90 2.5T.
    Read about my adventures at http://volvoxc90site.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast