Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Driveshaft removal

1999 volvo v70xc AWD

My current symptoms all point to somewhere in the driveshaft.I am going to remove and drive to verify.are there ANY problems I may encounter as a result of removing the driveshaft such as future problems with tranny, engine code problems etc or can I really remove the driveshaft and drive as FWD.My understanding of removing it is 8 6mm allenbolts in front and 8 in the back.The center has something that keeps it in place.Should take less than an hour.Does anyone have detailed instructions.

This isn't a lot of help but there are definitely instructions (with pictures) around. I've seen them but can't remember where. Google is your friend.
    2000 V70 XC SE
    165,000 miles and runs great.
    Total repair costs over last 65 months: $720 (about 1.5 car payments);
    Best single tank mileage ever: 32.8; Average mileage: 22.2; City: 18

Quote Originally Posted by creeksiide View Post
    1999 volvo v70xc AWD

My current symptoms all point to somewhere in the driveshaft.I am going to remove and drive to verify.are there ANY problems I may encounter as a result of removing the driveshaft such as future problems with tranny, engine code problems etc or can I really remove the driveshaft and drive as FWD.My understanding of removing it is 8 6mm allenbolts in front and 8 in the back.The center has something that keeps it in place.Should take less than an hour.Does anyone have detailed instructions.
    Chalk mark the bolts and holes where you emoved it.
    It should go back in the same way

Default rotate driveshaft

Thank you for your advice. I have been stuck on the last bolt for 2 hours.How can I rotate the driveshaft to move the positioning of the last bolt? Can I simply put in neutral and rotate the shaft? The car has the front tires on ramps and I am afraid to roll off ramps with all but one bolt out

help

To remove the prop shaft:
    1. Place right-side (passenger) front of car on jackstand
    2. Remove the screws you have access to both in the front and back (6mm hex-key socket with a couple of extensions and a swivel)
    3. Jack up one rear wheel temporarily. With wheel up & tranny in Neutral, turn wheel until other screws are visible
    4. Place rear wheel back on ground & tranny back in Park. Re-check that your jackstand is secure.
    5. Remove remaining screws

After that, it is simply a matter of dropping the bracket where the bearing is (remember to unbolt the "foot" of the bearing from the bracket) until you have enough room to wiggle the shaft out. If you live in the salt belt, you may also have to do unspeakable things to remove the rear of the driveshaft from its hub.