Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Replacing the turn signal switch....how?

I've found out that my turn signal switch on my MY04 is bad and I'm ordering a new one soon. What is involved in replacing it. The dealer wants $175 to do it and said there is no software issues in its installation. I'm quite handy and am up to doing this project.

Thanks in advance for your help.

According to VADIS:

Removal

- Ignition off
    - Remove upper and lower steering column covers
    - Remove two screws for the switch
    - Remove the rubber boot
    -NOTE! The pins on the switch are fragile
    - Carefully pull the switch straight out

Installation

- Install the rubber boot
    -NOTE! The pins on the switch are fragile
    - Insert the switch straight in from the side in the correct position. Carefully press the switch into the micro-switch. Ensure that the pins are in correct positions in the micro-switch
    - Install the screws for the switch
    - Install the upper and lower steering column covers
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Thanks Bill for the quick response and invaluable help.

Xray,
    I seem to be having the same issue, intermitant left turn signal. how do you know it was the switch and not some flasher relay somewhere?. How much did the switch cost you. I wont be able to get an inspection sticker the way it is.

Thanks
    Bob

I found posts here in these forums that were exactly what mine were doing. I got the unit from my local dealer for $80 +tax. Their list was $111, but the guy that works the counter always gives me a generous discount. I called the next nearest dealer and their list was $125 with no discount. I got the switch this morning and just finished installing only to find it was DOA, so now I'll have to wait until Monday for another one. One thing I found interesting was that even though it is packaged and labeled VOLVO on the box, it says "Made in Japan". Nothing is sacared anymore.

I'll keep all posted on my results.

I've found out that my turn signal switch on my MY04 is bad
    What makes you think that?

I got the switch this morning and just finished installing only to find it was DOA
    Whatever the problem is, the turn signal switch is not the solution.

Dave.
    Our Most Probable Fate Is Death !!!

I've had an intermittent left turn signal problems for the past 2 weeks too. After pushing down on the stalk I won't get any blinker activity, but I just need to jiggle the stalk and it will begin to work normally.

Today I found that pushing down on the stalk and slightly away will do the trick.

I did replace the driver side turn signal bulb a month ago and wondering if there is any correlation with that.

Lifting up on the stalk to turn right works perfectly.

Switch, relay, new bulb installation?

For what its worth, I had the same intemitant problem with left turn signal. Just for the hell of it, I removed the module over the weekend to visually check the connectors and see if i could find a part number, so i could order new one. I put the the same module back in, Now it works ! ,..GO FIGURE!!

Bob

Got mine replaced the other with DIY method need to replace my turn signal switch coz my wires are quite old and they are loosing conductivity

Had intermittent indicator issues too. Removed the switch and disassembled it and cleaned the contacts -- now it works perfectly!

Try this first save yourself some $$$. It's easy to do, after the switch is out, carefully remove the screw that holds the circuit board in place. Watch for the moving parts that will want to pop out. Turn the board over and you'll probably find lots of wear where the contacts move along the board. Clean this. Re-install.

Contrary to the VADIS instructions I found my switch had a plastic flange which prevented putting in back in perfectly straight. If you have trouble with this like I did, shave the flange off with a stanley knife. It's Volvo over-engineering.
    2001 Cross Country SE
    140,000 kms

"Write a clever saying and your name will live forever"

Anon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast