Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default blinkers work, no blinking noise inside the cabin though

My wife came home yesterday and said her blinkers are not working on the XC70. I had her test both left and right and the emergency while I looked at all four corners of the car. They all work however the dash arrows do not light up nor do we hear the clicking noise when it's blinking noise from the dash.

Any ideas?

Arrow re: turn signal switch

My v60 has a weird problem. the turn signal switch not work. To get them work I hit the emergency flashers. any idea bout this one? your reply is really appreciated.

Default Cleaning the turn signal switch on a 2002 V70 XC70

I was experiencing the intermittent flashing/pause/flashing when signaling for a left turn and just found this thread...which inspired me to remove the switch and take it apart. The cleaning procedure I came up with was inspired by my experience with slot cars when I was a kid. I just tried it, reinstalled the switch, and it works swimmingly! No more intermittent flashing.

I followed the VADIS removal instructions from BillAileo's post earlier in this thread.

It was easy to get the switch out. I brought it into the kitchen where I had good light and a clean place to work. Remove the circuit board from the back of the switch body using the single phillips screw. Keep the circuit board side up so that the small which plastic contact slider doesn't fall out. Nothing will fly across the room when you pull the circuit board off...just go slowly so you don't lose the white thing.

There are two groups of contacts (and two functions) managed by the contacts on the circuit board: 1) Turn signals, and 2) high beams.

I used a pencil eraser to clean the contacts...

I also very gently cleaned the contact points on the contact slider (this small square white plastic slider handles the turn signals) and even more carefully "bent" them outward to force a bit more pressure on the circuit board. Don't forget which way it goes when you put the slider back in the switch body. Or use these pics as a reference.

You can see the difference between the contacts I cleaned (for the signals) and the ones I didn't (for the high beams).

Make sure you have the contact slider in place properly, reposition the circuit board and tighten the little phillips screw.

As mentioned by others, be careful replacing the switch as these little pins are fragile. On my 2002 XC70 the switch body goes straight in and travels on two plastic "rails" on the top and bottom of the switch body.

Followed APSON's procedure. Switch came out as outlined. Removed Phillips screw to printed circuit board. Cleaned stationary contacts with Isoprophenol (rubbing alcohol). Also cleaned moving contacts with Iso. Used slight amount of vasoline (good conductive lube) on both stationary and moveable contacts. Went back in easily. Complete success. Turn signals work every time. brossard1

Wouldn't it be aa good idea, as precaution and following the procedure, to disconnect the battery before starting work?
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

How do you remove the steering column, to get access to the turn signal switch?

Super easy to get at the stalk/switch.- 3 torx screws on the bottom cover. remove it and you can take off the top cover.

Wait, give me 10 minutes. I'll post something in the resource section...

I have sent the following to the resources section, but here it is:

Replacing turn signal stalk on 2002 V-70

New switch shown in Picture 2. Note the electrical connector on the right and the gasket around the opening. Begin by removing the 3 torx screws from the bottom of the steering column cover shown in picture 3.

With those screws removed, pull down the bottom cover.

The top steering column cover is held in place with clips – seen in picture 4, pull up gently (a nylon pry tool is very useful here)

The switch is held in place by the 2 phillips head screws seen in picture 4. Undo the screws. The switch itself plugs into the 9 - pin electric socket shown in Picture 1, so it will take some
    moderate pressure (and a bit of working up and down) to get it free.

Installation is the reverse of removal. It will take some pressure to get the electric connector to seat. The screws are there to hold the switch in place. Get it seated first, then install screws.

Then push covers together, seating gasket around the new switch, and install the 3 torx screws on the bottom cover.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC09194.jpg   DSC09191.jpg   DSC09192.jpg   DSC09193.jpg  
    Last edited by Astro14; 09-25-2012 at 07:43 AM.
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

Awesome instructions and pics--much appreciated.
    Will attempt this soon.
    Would it help/desirable/not to dab a tiny amount of dielectric grease on the contacts? or would this cause a mess and potentially cause shorting/undesirable contact between contacts?

Much Thanks!

Can't really say if the dielectric grease would help or not. I would not bother - if too much grease is on there, it would prevent good contact - and the new switch went in much easier than the old one came out...
    Current Fleet:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax 4WD 1794
    2005 MB S600 (126K, Michelin AS4, HPL 0W40)
    2005 MB SL600 (55K Michelin AS4, Mobil 1 0W40)
    2004 V70R (143K, six speed M66, HPL 5W40)
    2004 XC90 (235K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-XC (295K, HPL 0W30 Euro)
    2002 V70-T5 (225K, IPD bars, Bilsteins)
    2001 V70-T5 (125K, IPD downpipe, cat back and other mods)
    1932 Packard Sedan (straight 8, dual sidemounts, original paint and interior, Shell Rotella 15W40)

While grease may well be unnecessary one of the defining characteristics of dielectric grease is that it is electrically insulating.
    Bill
    63 PV544 (attempted restoration)
    83 245 DL OSD (transferred to son)
    85 240 GL OSD (transferred to son)
    03 XC70 OSD (traded-in 4/12)
    05 AWD S80 OSD (transferred to son)
    12 XC70 T6
    16 S60 T5 Drive-E (FWD)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast