Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default XC90 Wheels, on XC70

I realise this has been done a few times before...But mainly on Gen 2 XC70's

So - the G3 XC70 has 63.4mm hub centres, and 55mm offset.

The XC90 wheel has 67.1mm hub centres and 49mm offset.

You can easily buy 67.1 / 63.4mm "spigot rings" to amend the hub diameter (only £5 in UK).

Regards the offset - is 6mm enough to cause a problem? I'm sure you could easily fit slightly wider tyres, so I'm sure there's enough clearance...will 6mm really affect the handling?

Keen to hear your thoughts...
    2009 xc70 SE Geartronic
    2012 Land Rover Defender "Puma" 2.4
    BMW K1200RS

Here's a link: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showth...t=12437&page=2

ET difference of 6mm will not be a problem, in fact many people add up to 10mm front and 20mm rear spacers to the new XC70.
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

Thanks, also had a confirmation from Jean-Claude that he's not experiencing issues regards the offset.

I'll get sorted in the next few days, and post an update...
    2009 xc70 SE Geartronic
    2012 Land Rover Defender "Puma" 2.4
    BMW K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
    Thanks, also had a confirmation from Jean-Claude that he's not experiencing issues regards the offset.

I'll get sorted in the next few days, and post an update...
    Just to clarify: my Neptune XC90 wheels are 17X7" where the Sargas XC70 wheels are 17X7.5" wide. Since the XC70 wheels are narrower by 1/2" it is normal that the offset is different. At the end, the Neptune XC90 wheels have 12mm MORE clearance inside and have the exact same outer position than the Sargas XC70 wheels. It means the full 1/2" difference is inside the wheel and the outside of the wheel is at the same position. The plastic composite Hubcentric rims OD=67.1mm (XC90) / ID=63.4mm (XC70) I got last year worked well and did not cause any vibration. I am very happy with my winter wheels: much nicer than the dealer steel wheels and hub caps...
    Don't worry 17X7" is wide enough for 235/55/17 tires.
    Here is a picture of them (I know its dirty, here it's hard to keep a car clean in winter for more than 1 day):
    2009 XC70 T6 Black Saffire / Expresso interior
    2008 Audi TT Roadster Ibis White / Brown Baseball Optic interior

Past Volvos:
    2000 V70XC Venitien Red (sold at 185,000km)
    1994 850 Sportwagon repainted Safran orange (sold at 242,000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by beavenx5 View Post
    ... the XC70 wheels are narrower by 1/2" it is normal that the offset is different. At the end, the Neptune XC90 wheels have 12mm MORE clearance... The plastic composite Hubcentric rims OD=67.1mm (XC90) / ID=63.4mm (XC70) I got last year worked well and did not cause any vibration.
    Hey, I have to say thanks for the posts above - I have a 2008 V70 and am simply unable to find fitting wheels for my studded tires, except straight from Volvo at an outrageous price.

Now I am going to use XC90 wheels (Neptune!) which are a little bit more available.

Thanks again
    Bert

Default XC90 hub diameter 65.1mm? Or 67.1mm??

Hi

I'm in trouble. For my Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 studded tires I ordered some nice Neptune knock-offs from a wheel place in Florida, with the intention to install them on my 2008 V70.

Based on all the information that I could find, including this thread, that should be a no-brainer. I ordered polycarbonate 67.1mm to 63.4mm hubcentric rings, but when the wheels showed up after a while, and I glanced over the labels, I immediately got worried:

I know my previous Volvos had 65.1mm hubs, as I have always been a fan of the classic Pegasus wheel which can be seen below.

But after thinking things over for over a year, I accepted reality, and went for a workable option. Or so I thought!

So, I am counting on the XC90 wheels having 67.1mm hubs with a V70/XC70 compatible offset in order to pull this off. Hubcentric rings from 65.1mm to 63.4mm do not seem to exist, although Ipd sells 65.1mm to 63.1mm rings (apparently for the C30?)

Now, the seller claims that the XC90 has 65.1mm hubs, and he even sent me a scan out of "the ultimate wheel & tire plus sizing guide", apparently one of the reference works in the industry, which states exactly what he claims:

What I now need is an opinion of one or several XC90 owners on the hub diameter.

67.1mm? 65.1mm? Something else?

Thanks a lot for your contributions.

Kind regards
    Bert

"the ultimate wheel & tire plus sizing guide" is filled with bad info... this coming from working at NTW/NTB for 4 years during college.

I'm 100% sure that the XC90 has 67.1mm hub diameter, and yours is 63.4mm hub diameter.

Default Pegs on a 2008 V70

Gentlemen

I owe you an update. Ifnt420, thanks to you specifically for the simple but clear statement below. Because of you the seller took his wheels back, and I decided to set out to see how to get my Pegs in use.

I've always hated the stock Naos wheels so I could not wait to get them off.

I had a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 5 "bear claw" studded tires waiting and I would have lost them soon, so they would go on the rims no matter what.

I ordered from iPd a set of hub centric rings for the C30, as the rep on the phone said "... euh SURE they fit on the 2008 V70 I think"

http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...757&V_ID=13711

Guess what? They do not fit the hub. Don't be fooled, 63.1mm is not 63.4. (Duh?) You could whack them on, they are made of aluminum and do stretch enough to accomodate for the 3 tenths of a mm, but you'd never get them off to do a roadside wheel swap and the Pegs don't fit over the hub centric rings if they have been stretched to fit the hub. Ask me how I know. $12 + shipping for a ring well spent.

So... as an emergency measure, I had them installed lug centric (I had no choice), assuming I would find a solution.

On my request, the tire boys checked the clearance, just to be sure:

So I drove home, and as you may guess, the ride was just terrible. The car was barely drivable. Some emergency solution had to be found, and as luck would have it, I had a piece of scrap aluminum of exactly the required thickness laying around on a 7 year old GE fridge that was beyond repair and to be hauled away (don't get me started on that one). So I sacrificed a pair of scissors to cut out some strips:

And voilą, temporary hub centric rings!

Although I really don't like these McGyver tricks, it did the job, the car drove ok although some oscillation was noticeable over the drone of the studded tires. It bought me enough time to seek for alternatives, and I got myself a brake cylinder hone tool delivered. The idea clearly to thin out the iPd hub centric rings to 63.4mm. The first one I widened by having the ring in the rim, and using a cordless drill.

That sort of worked, but poorly. It did take forever, and I am a very patient person. Poorly because it did not take off material equally: less in the center than it did on the edges - not an optimal solution for an hub centric ring.

So... a better approach had to be found. I taped together the three remaining rings to form a tube, and this yielded better results.

So, I used engine oil as a cutting agent, and when that mixes with aluminum powder it becomes a messy affair. Did I say that this takes forever? Forever as in 4 full charges of a near new 18V (Admittedly Black & Decker) cordless drill? We're talking very long hours here.

I did consider throwing the towel in the ring more than once.

I was close to mental meltdown when I read this on my made in China caliper

Three wheels were bolted on, when the fourth ring JUST would not fit. Having the scenario in mind where my wife borrows the car, has a flat, is stranded next to a busy 4-line highway, in the middle of a hail storm, kids in the back seat, yelling at me through the phone that she can't get the spare wheel on, made me do the right thing and not whack it on. Back to the basement it was, where I hit the issue of how to hold the damn thing... I did not want to use the wheel any more due to the poor results.

Not so long after I realized the diameter of a soda can is close to 65.1mm, so I used that as a fixing tool to hone up the last one just another 2 or 3 hundreds of a mm.

Another hour or so later things bolted on and this is the result:

This is before a wheel wash, in real life they look a little brighter. Visually, I am pleased with the result, although I could have taken a tire that fills up the wheel well just a little more. But this 225/50R17 and a standard size on this car, while 225/55R17 is not.

After all, I think the pegs look good on a 2008, too. The offset works, and could be a little more expressed (the iPd pegs have 5mm less offset, so IF I end up buying 18" pegs for my summer wheels, I'd go for those, even though they are not legal in Finland, where I'll be moving to)

The verdict: They drive ok but not fantastic. I still feel some vibration, not sure if that is because of the hundreds of mm of tolerance that I created with my Bob the Builder skills here, as it could easily be caused by tires that are out of balance because I drove them 80 miles or so when they were lug centric and must have gotten beat up pretty badly. I'll have them balanced after the winter season or latest before next.

I'm now in the US, and when I move back to Europe where I have more connections, I'll have hub centric rings made exactly to spec. Temporarily, it is ok though, and I think I might be the first one with Pegs on a 2008

The christmas tree on the dash however, drives me absolutely up the walls:

Three warnings and an audible sound because I did not want to spend $247 PER SENSOR not counting the dealer charge for the pairing to the ECU? Come on!!

Summary of the story. If you want pegs on a 08, it can be done. But you must be bonkers to go through the misery, until someone with a lathe can produce a line of flimsy but spot on accurate hub centric rings to pair these wheels and cars up. And then there is the issue with the sensors.

Why oh why are those Pegasus wheels so elegant?

Bert

Pegs look GOOD on the 08!!

As for the TPMS, these should work with the factory system at $37 a pop.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-V...s#ht_816wt_939

I immediately ordered four!!

Thanks for that link. How did I miss it? I looked for these before on eBay. They must have surfaced recently.

Now I hope I can get those paired to the car without taking out a second mortgage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast