Thread: Oil Pan Removal

Default Oil Pan Removal

Tickey tick engine and noisy lifters... I'm about to remove the oil pan on my car. Hoping the O-Rings are the culprit as indicated in an older post on the earlier model XC's. Has anyone replaced an oil pan recently or have more input into this situation. I haven't read anyone having this problem lately...I'll be doing this in my driveway and have around 98 hours to do it so I should have just about enough time. Thanks in Advance.
    2001 xc70
    Ash Gold
    BC Canada
    125000km

Not a tough job, you just need to take your time.
    Pretty basic, pull all the bolts that are 10mm and there might be a 12mm that holds the hand on the transmission side, tap the pan off and clean it up and then install the gaskets and pan
    2004 Volvo XC70
    1992 Volvo 740 Turbo
    1981 Volvo 262c Bertone w/B230FT
    1980 Volvo 262c Bertone w/B230 M46

Dead easy to do,
    however, I would make the following points
    1. Use the official volvo sealant on the jointing face - its a fluo pink goo, but a lot of experts seem to be insistent on this, and no alternatives.
    2. When you replace the O rings, also do the seals in the pipe from the filter housing to the oil cooler that runs thru the sump. (it will be obvious when youve got the sump off) These were the culprits on my car, and appeared to have been misassembled in the factory.

correct this is a volvo only deal no parts from anyone else espcially buy the volvo pink gasket anorobic gasket material.
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Default Tickety tick

Welll.... I removed the oil pan ( a slow and steady process) and had a look in the underside of the engine. The seals were okay, not broken or anything like that although one was very brittle and did break on removal. I replaced the seals and O rings, put it together AND it still ticks. I've just put some lucas oil additive in to see if it actually makes a difference. The noise comes from the rear of the engine towards the top. One of the guys had mentioned to get a car stethoscope and go from there, I may just do that over the next day or so. Has anyone else had a problem where the O'rings didn't fix this problem?

Would a manifold leak cause a similar sound? The only thing is that once the engine is warm (5 min) it goes away till it's cool (4-5 hours) and then is only very faint. I do know that the problem seems to be getting louder quickly, the noise has developed in the last 2 weeks (500km) or so. I've had the car for 4 years and have always changed the oil at 10,000 km. Just lately with synthetic (last 20,000km).

Thanks for your input so far.
    2001 xc70
    Ash Gold
    BC Canada
    125000km

A "pin hole" leak in an exhaust gasket will make a sound similar to tapping and can go away if the hole is small enough to seal up once everything expands due to the heat of operation. What you can try to do is use a 18in length of 1/2in hose, put one end to your ear and the other to each of the gaskets in turn. Problem is you may need to go around each one until you find something (assuming there is something to find). Getting to the bottom half of those gaskets might be tricky especially to the inside 3 cylinders. In any case, do this when the engine is cold and the hole is the"biggest". And work quickly to make it easier to find. You might actually be able to feel it too but it gets pretty hot around those exhaust headers pretty quick, so be careful.

Good Luck,

Bill
    Western Head, NS CDN

'08 BMW 750i (Black Sapphire)-204K kms to-date
    '05 XC70 (Lava Sand)-296K kms to-date
    '02 V70XC-gone @393K kms
    '05 V70R (Magic Blue)-120K mi to-date - gone
    '96 854R (Red)-real CDN-spec 5-speed R - gone @270k kms
    And other Volvos and misc. Euro stuff

Check the heat shield. It ticks when loose, and can stop ticking when warms up.

DYZ
    2005 Volvo XC70, Ash Gold, 210K miles

Default Tick sound Solved

I'm pretty disappointed with what's happened here. I'm checking the exhaust manifold area as it sounds like it may be a noise source. Working as quickly as I can before the sound disappears and it's too hot, I touch the bolts and washers and find their loose. I've never taken the manifold off, I'm like how the heck has this happened... The only times another mechanic has touched it was to install the front sway bar about 3 months back and remove the resonator 6 months back. I don't know if the bolts would need to be loosened or not in their process and forgotten... but it's all good now. I'm just happy it wasn't valves or something more sinister. Anyways thanks for your help.
    2001 xc70
    Ash Gold
    BC Canada
    125000km