Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Chilled Man View Post
    Agreed Rotation is a must .
    - better wear and noise charteristics, and a darn good time to evaulate inflation pressures, and alignment.

Alex

Thanks for the post! My car just went in for maintenance and I had to convince them not to rotate my tires.

'09 XC70 T6

On our current XC70 AWD the front tyres (UK Spelling!) Pirelli wore out at 22,000 Miles, so I then put Kuhmo Solus on the rims and swapped them with the rear wheels, again Pirelli that lasted another 13,000 before once again replacing them with Kuhmo Solus.

Interestingly the Kuhmo Solus are providing a quieter ride with better mpg than the Pirelli and above all else are lasting longer when the wear is checked against mileage.

Sadly in a short while the currentl XC70 AWD is going, to be replaced by another XC70 AWD, this time in the correct colour both inside and out and with the 205Bhp D5 engine, as opposed to the 185Bhp D5 'lump'.

I will be swapping the wheels around on this new car as in the UK we get a better deal if we want to buy 4 'skins' as opposed to 1 or 2.

For me having done it on previous cars it has always provided a better ride, performance, & 'levelled out' the wear that occurs on the outer edges of the front wheels that can get 'scrubbed' quite quickly thanks to road camber!

I have also reviously brought into play the full sized spare wheel, and even though I have one which can and will be transferred to the new XC70 I will be swapping the wheels on a diagonal basis, and leaving the spare for other things:
    NS/F goes to O/S R, & vice versa
    OS/R goes to NS/F, & vice versa

Tyres here ain't cheap but we get nothing like the mileage that some of our friends across the pond get.

I rotate all my cars every 5k miles, usually same side but I've been known to X-rotate them too!

The only logic I buy for not rotating is when the rears are wider than the fronts as on some performance cars.

Please tell me how to get the stock Scorpions to wear faster so I can replace them with quiter, better performing car tires!
    2010 T6 - Climate, Convenience, Premium Audio, RSE, Moonroof, ABL
    2002 V70XC, sold to move to Japan

2014 Moto Guzzi Stelvio

Quote Originally Posted by toma nova View Post
    I rotate all my cars every 5k miles, usually same side but I've been known to X-rotate them too!

The only logic I buy for not rotating is when the rears are wider than the fronts as on some performance cars.

Please tell me how to get the stock Scorpions to wear faster so I can replace them with quiter, better performing car tires!
    Try some 'hard - scrubbing driving' going around 'Doughnuts/Roundabouts' it worked wonders for a friend of mine who could wear out his tyres in less than 10,000 miles!
    He used to live in a town called Milton Keynes here in the UK and they call it 'Doughnut Town' because of all the small roundabouts that if you go fast enough you can scrub the rubber off your tyres without really trying!

Good luck wherever you are.

Quote Originally Posted by sschultze View Post
    Thinking back, Volvo also stated the transmissions never required fluid change! That did not work so well for many, I think there first fluid change included a new transmission.
    This is so true! Sometimes old school is really the best way to go. My friend had an '03 XC90 that they had to get rid of as it was costing them a fortune in repairs. She never went anywhere except the dealer although I begged her. She never rotated the tires, never did even a drain and fill on the tranny. Hers spent a lot more time in the shop than my 2004 XC70.
    2008 XC70 Black/Sandstone
    previous:
    2004 XC70 Crystal Green/Brown trade in @79K

Quote Originally Posted by OKCXC70 View Post
    This is so true! Sometimes old school is really the best way to go. My friend had an '03 XC90 that they had to get rid of as it was costing them a fortune in repairs. She never went anywhere except the dealer although I begged her. She never rotated the tires, never did even a drain and fill on the tranny. Hers spent a lot more time in the shop than my 2004 XC70.
    In 40 Years of owning and driving Volvos both Petrol (Gas) and Oil Burners (Diesel) I truly believe in the saying:
    "Look after your kit and it will look after you"

Do I hear someone ask "WHY?"

Well thanks to providing a bit of TLC and looking after my kit, I have never suffered a major breakdown with any of the Volvos I have had, nor have I had to call out the Breakdown Mechanic for the 'showstoppers'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12