Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tire rotation a bad idea, per Volvo latest manuals

I found it very intersting that our '09 XC70 owner's manual specifically says that there is no recommended tire rotation, and goes on to explain that their current view is that letting a tire "set" in one wheel position over its life gives the best performance and traction, least noise, etc. To reinforce this trend, I saw in today's Wall Street Journal a reference to BMW saying exactly the same thing in their current manual. Volvo is clear that the front's will wear faster, and interestingly enough, they address the fact that the tread depth will become significantly different from front to back as a positive, because the added depth at back "will reduce oversteer" (as if the XC had any to begin with). I find nothing of any sort about the old recommendation of having the deeper tread on front wheels of all AWD cars, nor any reference to anything at all about matching tread depth's on AWD systems (or any acceptible tread differences).
    Mike
    ----------------
    '09 XC70 T6
    '07 XC70
    '98 V70M
    '98 S70 T5M
    '95 855T
    '84 MB 380SL

Check out this short film by Michelin. They advocate the same!!

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...artire-change/
    2002 V70XC w/volvoXC.com stickers! MTE Stage 3+

Wow, interesting. Only problem is if fronts wear faster than the rears, and you don't rotate, you'll end up with fronts eventually needing replacement, and rears might still have lots of good tread, but you're not going to just replace the fronts, you'll have to do all 4 when the rears are fine and had you rotated, you'd have gotten more mileage out of all 4.

But they make good points...

Just checked the manual, and it says:

Tire rotation

Your vehicle has no recommended tire rotation. The following information is intended to help you understand why.

Tread set

As a tire ages and the rubber cures, front and rear tires set at different angles. Therefore, if tires are rotated, the tread will eventually set at an angle that is a compromise. Even if ride, handling, and road noise may still seem acceptable, they may not be optimal. Further,
    tires that are rotated, but not on a regular basis, may actually cause more tire noise, faster tire wear, and unpleasant changes in steering feel and vehicle handling.

A tire that can fully adapt to its position will provide better steering feel, lower tire noise, and better fuel economy.

Braking stability performance

Your vehicle is driven mainly by the front tires, which will wear faster. This can be beneficial. Having more tread on the rear tires will help
    reduce oversteer. Oversteer is when a vehicle wants to keep turning because of momentum and dynamic forces on its suspension.

Suspension wear diagnostics

Every suspension needs periodic inspection and maintenance. A tire's wear pattern can be an aid in detecting a suspension problem. Each
    tire, if left in place, tells a story about the suspension. Tire rotation, on the other hand, could make suspension wear harder to detect. Early detection is very important, because suspension problems can make tire wear worse.

If you do rotate your tires…

Please follow the tire manufacturer's recommendations, as outlined in the tire manufacturers tire warranty pamphlet.

Your Volvo retailer can also provide guidance based on your particular driving circumstances.
    Last edited by Lotus99; 08-20-2009 at 11:10 AM.
    09 XC70 T6 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by ifnt420 View Post
    Check out this short film by Michelin. They advocate the same!!

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...artire-change/
    Only problem with a tire company putting that out is they have a vested interest in getting you to change your tires faster and buying 4 at a time, when advocating not rotating, but I suppose it sounds like there's some science behind this advice at least...

So are they saying though that it's ok to just replace 2? I thought that was frowned upon, when you had like half tread on one pair, and new ones for the other.

If replacing 2 then, they're recommending at that point to swap the old rears up to the front, and put the new ones on the rear?
    Last edited by Lotus99; 08-19-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    09 XC70 T6 - Sold

With the Haldex AWD system, there is no reason not to change 2 at a time, is there?
    '04 XC70 (petrol/auto), Nautic Blue / Graphite, Premium, Touring, Boosters, Xenia Wheels w/235x60 Nokian WR's (wife's kid-hauler)
    '09 C70 retractable hard top convertible. Red with black interior.

Default seems wrong

Thinking back, Volvo also stated the transmissions never required fluid change! That did not work so well for many, I think there first fluid change included a new transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by skibo View Post
    With the Haldex AWD system, there is no reason not to change 2 at a time, is there?
    I wouldn't think so. I could see new tires on the front being a closer match to rear-only tread than end of life front tires anyway. Thinking about it, the fact that there is a difference between front and rear should give you (us) the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by skibo View Post
    Double negatives give me headaches...
    09 XC70 T6 - Sold

What a load....

As a mechanic you eed to rotate them. If you don't they do set in funny and wear out MORE quickly. Plus they get really odd handling characteristics. The issue comes from idiots not rotating enough and letting other things go out of spec. Care for the car and you will have no issues.

Oversteer....ROTFLMAO!!!
    Jason,

Riding with the Big Dog.

Agreed Rotation is a must .
    2012 Ford Fusion 2004 V70XC 01 V70XC -M66 1998 C70 T5-M66

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast