Default Any advice about returning a Volvo at end of 3 year lease?

We have an '07 XC70, (will have 39k at lease end), that is coming to the end of its 3 year lease at end of August. This is our first lease, so no past experience in the termination process. We had planned to keep the car, and only leased it originally due to the added cash incentives offered up front. Now, the new deals seem so good that I think we are going to bite on an '09 XC70 t6 and let the '07 go back to the lease company (US Bank). The car is really good, no problems at all to date. Tires are at near 8/32nds all around (due to snow tires and full size spare), one small door ding from parking lot (when 3 weeks old) that is less than the size of a quarter, interior is basically unmarked, mostly a single driver without passengers but not yet detailed. Service history is independent Volvo specialty shop for all but the initial 7500 mile check done at dealer, plus interim oil changes and transmission fluid changes done at home with receipts. Do any of you have any insights as to what the lease co. inspection person is likely to challenge or try to assess additional charges for? If I pick up anything needed that I can take care of before the inspection, that would be good. It is due for its 37k service now, so I assume I need to get that done (and we will put at least 2.5k more on it before lease end). I will have the interior and exterior clean when it is inspected, but don't know if it should be really detailed and waxed or just a good wash and vacuum. Do they actually measure brake pad thickness or other specifics aside from looking at conditions and any visible defects? Can I assume that the bank inspection done before we turn it in is a firm statement of final claims, or do they do another one after the car is back? The bank has called several times so far to see about having the inspection scheduled, so I am expecting that it is a final review, but could use others experience.

Thanks for all comments.
    Mike
    ----------------
    '09 XC70 T6
    '07 XC70
    '98 V70M
    '98 S70 T5M
    '95 855T
    '84 MB 380SL

You should be just fine on the lease return, it sounds better than 95% of them.
    A good wash should be fine, they don't expect it to be detailed to the max.

On the other hand make sure you drive a new one before you give this back,
    (They suck IMO)!

It's a totally different vehicel, not as comfortable, (for me), clumsy to drive especially at low speeds, etc etc. VERY heavy front doors.

Thanks, JRL. I listened to your thoughts on the P3's before we went to try one, and was not expecting to like the new one. I fully agreed with your views on the 3.2 version. My wife even agreed she would not want a 3.2 version, and she is not usually at all sensitive to a car's "feel". However, the T6 package seemed to really liven the car up, and as well as the tighter handling with the 17" wheels. We did think that the P2 seats had an edge in side grip, but otherwise, the new ones did fit us pretty well. Overall, the new seats were a slight negative that we thought was offset by the fact that my wife (it's her car) really likes the new interior look, and the new exterior look, and we both liked the new T6 drive train. I actually thought the P3 felt a little lighter and more nimble than our '07, and she thought it felt a little smaller when she was driving it. One thing I particularly noticed was the initial throttle response between the two cars. I have always felt that teh '07 was much too sensitive to light touches as you pull out from stop, maneuver in tight parking, etc., even when I pay attention to being smooth. The T6 had a much more linear response and none of that sense of too quick responses. One other negative for me on the '07 is the heavy sun glare/reflections on windshield due to light color of dash top. The '09 goes back to Volvo tradition of a darker dash top even with the light interior that my wife likes. The new end of year deals are are also a factor - here in Mass, the sales tax jumps 1.25% on 8/1 so there is a $450. or so saving to buying this week. Then Volvo is offering 5 year 60k warranty plus all services through 60k plus some limited wear and tear coverage through 60k. Then add incentives for loyalty (2500), Volvo Allowance (6,000), a local $1500 credit because she is a teacher, the Ford A-plan price, and a current A-plan bonus of $1500, and the T6 with premium, convenience, climate and BLIS is costing 32,800 (with teh 5 years of service covered. That is about the same as we paid for the '07 -$30k flat, without service). For that price, it seems like a good overall move to update to the '09. Hope we are proven right after some use.
    Mike
    ----------------
    '09 XC70 T6
    '07 XC70
    '98 V70M
    '98 S70 T5M
    '95 855T
    '84 MB 380SL

Go for it

Canada: Calgary Alberta - Panorama Mountain BC - Pender Island BC

Default Lease Return

I have had company-leased vehicles for the past 15 years. I think you are in fine shape to return the rig in its present state. Most leases only involve an exterior/interior review and mileage assessment. Check the mileage levels stated in your contract as some of them have high-mileage limits. It doesn't sound that you would fall into that category with 40,000 miles over 3 years.

JRL is on the mark - a wash and interior vacuum is all you need.

John
    '04 XC70 Canadian Premium and Sport packages, Black (425,000 kms)
    '06 XC70 Ocean Race Model, IPD to 240 hp, 18" rims, Deep Blue
    Other rigs: '06 Toyota Avalon, '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '23 BMW330e (Plug-In-Hybrid)

Thanks for the feedback. We are good on the miles - it is a 45k lease with under 40k planned at end. The lease does specify tire tread remaining as 50%, and we are well ahead on that due to use of snow tires and rotating 5 summer tires - otherwise we would have expected to have to put new tires on it at turn-in. Not many other details are written out in the lease fine print and I hate to be at their whim in judging "reasonable" wear. I have gone back to buying for the next one, although leasing has not been a big hassle so far with this one.
    Mike
    ----------------
    '09 XC70 T6
    '07 XC70
    '98 V70M
    '98 S70 T5M
    '95 855T
    '84 MB 380SL