Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Position Light Failure??????

Hello members.............my 2004 xc70's dashboard information center is saying I have a "position light bulb failure"??

I've checked all of my exterior bulbs and everything appears ok. Can't figure out what a "position light is" or where the burned out bulb is.

Was anyone ever run across this message before?
    Thanks
    Warren

If the term means the same than it does here (Europe), then it means the small front lights and the rear lighting.
    They are not meant for driving (even forbidden) but to mark the position of the car while standing still in the dark, hence the name.
    I think the message may include the licence plate lights. A remedy known to help (sometimes) is to tap the light housings
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

You have a small bulb out, find it and change it

Check after dark with key on to illuminate all - you will see one side vs the other where the light is out. Can be front or rear but rear has multiple position lights on each side. Just changed one today - some are EZ but some are major PITA to get at. In rear you pull of the trim panel and then pull out the black liner panel, one light you have to remove a speaker but there is a finger tab to pull out and make it easier.

Default Success!!!!!!!!!

Willy, JRL, and JMoser.........Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I did exactly as you suggested 10 minutes ago when it got dark. Put key in ignition in the darkened garage........the right rear taillight is lit....but the 2nd bulb directly above it is burned out. I didn't realize that there were TWO bulbs in the housing. I just removed the quick release inner panel for access to the bulbs....now just have to read manual to figure out how the bulb release feature works............

Thanks again for your help
    Warren

I had the "position light" message with my '04 about 8 months ago. Based on my reading of this forum, I gave the tail light lens a couple moderate thumps (not taps) with my fist in the area of the bulb. Light came on and has been working ever since.
    Last edited by justthefacts; 07-27-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: correction: replace "housing" with "lens"

Volvo XC70 tail light assemblies are notoriously weak. I've already had to change both left and right housings. They were either blowing bulbs or just didn't work.

$100 each.

Quote Originally Posted by justthefacts View Post
    I had the "position light" message with my '04 about 8 months ago. Based on my reading of this forum, I gave the light housing a couple moderate thumps (not taps) with my fist in the area of the bulb. Light came on and has been working ever since.
    Just to improve my knowlegde of the English language:
    Is a tap more or less severe than a thump?
    Willy
    144 GL (1974)--->244 GL (1982)--->940 GLE 2.3i (1992)--->XC70 2.5T (2004)--->XC90 T5 (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Just to improve my knowlegde of the English language:
    Is a tap more or less severe than a thump?
    Willy
    Willy,

A tap is less severe than a thump. And your English is excellent! Much better than my French, Flemish, German, Dutch....
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren from Toronto View Post
    Willy, JRL, and JMoser.........Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I did exactly as you suggested 10 minutes ago when it got dark. Put key in ignition in the darkened garage........the right rear taillight is lit....but the 2nd bulb directly above it is burned out. I didn't realize that there were TWO bulbs in the housing. I just removed the quick release inner panel for access to the bulbs....now just have to read manual to figure out how the bulb release feature works............

Thanks again for your help
    Warren
    I have the exact same bulb go out on my '03 aperiodically. I usually just tap the tailight lens and the bulb comes back on. It seems to go out after I have closed the tailgate, but not every time. Just one of the quirks of the XC....
    Cheers, Gary

2022 XC60 B5/Black
    2021 XC60 T5/ Osmium Gray (Wife's)
    2017 XC60 T6/ Bright Silver (Loaned to my Son)
    2015.5 XC70/Silver (Loaned to my Daughter)

2007 XC70/Rubyred (RIP)
    2003 XC70/Platinum Green (RIP)
    2001 V70/White (RIP)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast