Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flashing arrow and P0756

1999 V70 XC. Went to the repair shop today because I got the flashing arrow with CEL. I got P0756 for a code. What does this mean, and what do I have to do to fix this?

I don't know the code but you probably need a PNP switch and do NOT drive the car this way, you can hurt the tranny for good

Apparently it's a "Shift Solenoid B Performance or Stuck Off/2-3 Shift Solenoid Valve Performance" code. I was told I'm going to need a new transmission. Is it possible to replace either the pnp switch or this solenoid without removing the transmission?

Does anyone have any experience with this code being fixed by changing the shift solenoids? Can it be done without pulling the transmission? Is this code synonymous with the PNP switch?

It could be a solonoid.
    Not many people are changing solonoids anymore, not the easiest of jobs, not the worst but you have to find someone who will do it.
    The problem is that usually when the solonoids go bad it's from dirty, mucked up fluid.
    In that case changing only the solonoid may not do you much good and not for long!
    I would get a second opinion, it still could be the PNP switch but unfortunately it IS usually one or the other.

Thanks for the reply. I had it flushed less than a hundred miles ago, and unfortunately at the time I had the same code. It was cleared, came back recently, and then I recently went in and had it checked by AAMCO. The first guy said it wasn't the PNP switch...at least he didn't think so. He was a Volvo specific shop. He recommended a flush as the fluid looked old and to see if it comes back. I haven't driven it since the first guy looked at it, as I have been overseas. Like I said, it's back now, and unfortunately I don't know the Volvo code. Just the generic one...p0756. All I have read has said that it's the solenoid and that it's possible to access the valve body under the battery. This last guy wanted to pull my transmission to get to it.

I am mechanically inclined, and I'm wondering if I can get to this spot without pulling the tranny. I'd much rather drop a $150 on the shift solenoids, then almost 3 grand on a new or rebuild...even if the shift solenoids don't work. I'd much rather try the cheaper options first.

I never did it, it's tricky.
    As far as I know, this can be done without removing the tranny but it's tight.
    Take the Volvo to Volvo and get the specific code first.
    When you have a weird one like this, you really need to get the specific Volvo code, it can eliminate a lot of unnecessary work

I'll try and find someone who has a volvo code reader and get back to you. I don't really want Volvo to charge me 90 bucks to read a code. I've heard of that before. Is it safe to drive the car over there? I know I don't want to drive for a while, but how many miles is safe? Hard to know?

It's really not safe.
    It may be savable now but driving it could...put a nail in the coffin!
    Not saying that it definitely will, but driving anything over a mile or two is risking serious damage

where in colorado are you?
    location, location, location, helps up help you
    Hailing from the Majestic Rocky Mountain High
    RIP 04-08-09

Extras: Bilstein Hd's, Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors, K&N Air Filter
    IPD HD TCV, Stylin Motors Silicone Hoses, Silverstars, 8000k HID Fogs
    It is illegal to get this high in other states.

Need OEM Volvo Parts?
    Call Daryl Waltrip Volvo
    (800) 689-0021
    Ask for Jamie or Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast